About

Ramblings. Rantings. Ravings.

The Lady

22-year-old supergirl

Desires

freedom
courage
patience

Your Say


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Entertainment

. postsecret
. icanhascheezburger
. xiaxue
. papergirlsshop
. crunchyroll

Recent Entries

> and the end is in sight...
> this itch i cannot scratch
> "i won't grow up"
> I appreciate sharp minds - intelligent, perceptive...
> 2 down, 3 to go
> crashed and burned: 1. 4 more to go!
> Due to the onset of exams, we unfortunately had to...
> outta spore i go! :D
> jingle bells jingle bells!
> unhappy endings

Lost Memories

> April 2007
> May 2007
> June 2007
> July 2007
> August 2007
> September 2007
> October 2007
> November 2007
> December 2007
> January 2008
> February 2008
> March 2008
> April 2008
> May 2008
> June 2008
> July 2008
> August 2008
> September 2008
> October 2008
> November 2008
> December 2008
> January 2009
> February 2009
> March 2009
> April 2009
> May 2009
> June 2009
> July 2009
> August 2009
> September 2009
> October 2009
> December 2009
> February 2010
> April 2010
> June 2010
> September 2010
> October 2010
> November 2010
> December 2010
> January 2011

Thanks To

Designer: blueskyx* LG*
Edit: Adobe Photoshop CS2*
Fonts: Dafont*
Brushes: x
Image: o
Host: Blogger* Photobucket*
Thanks: Blogskins*

common language
Friday, 28 November 2008

"Why do you suddenly switch to English? I understand Japanese, you know?"

Sometimes it irks and puzzles me why my dad does that. He will be in the midst of relating some incident to my mom, and because I'm sitting there eating my plum, he will throw in some English sentences. Or he could be telling her the story while I'm standing nearby guzzling down my juice, then when I walk nearer he'll proceed to start telling me the same story, in English. Hello?! I grew up listening to Japanese, I took lessons, I was immersed in it - my Japanese proficiency is okay. How did he think I survived a year in Japan? -.-'''

Anyhow, my dad just returned from Hainan Island, China. As he and my relatives were chattering in the car on the way back from the airport, it reminded me anew that Japanese is not the only language I want to brush up on during the holidays. My aunt asked me in Hainanese, "do you understand what we're saying?" To which I answered, "I understand, but I cannot speak." I think most of my Foo family relatives know that my generation's grasp of the language is going downhill. We were all relatively fluent when we were younger, because we were often at my grandmother's house and it was the only language she could speak. Old age brings with it a barrage of problems and the bottom line is that we lost our main conversation partner. Having Hainanese in our lives has gradually become a thing of the past.

I don't like losing things which I had firmly in my grasp. Especially things like language, which I'd spent years practising, fine-tuning, improving. More than just pride, I want to retain my command of languages because language is culture, and it holds memories which I cannot recreate today. As long as I can still speak it, I'm keeping the link between us open, the avenue is there. It helps to keep certain memories alive.

One language is for the past; The other is for the present and the future.

Labels:

- supergirl soul-saved @ 8:22 pm :)