I say all sorts of unpleasant things in a fit of anger, but as time passes and the anger recedes, everything just seems so silly. Some words can be taken back, painstakingly edited a few times until most of the heat is removed from the words. Others, they are heard immediately. That's why it's better to just shut up when I'm angry, before I say things I don't feel comfortable with in a few days.
Anyway, I met more people today. In a group of eight, three of us were half-Japanese. The other halves are Singaporean-Chinese, Taiwanese-Chinese and French. It's rather cool how many half-Japanese students I've met here, it almost seems common! One thing about meeting international students is that cultural differences become quite apparent, and that what applies to Singapore isn't necessarily applicable elsewhere. Broadening my horizons has inevitably made me realised that it's a really open world out there, liberal in so many ways. Not everyone holds the same conservative beliefs as I do, but rather than feeling appalled by others' behaviours, I'm intrigued. To me it's something new, and I want to find out more about it, even if it's directly contradictory to my own ideals. To each his/her own, no? There's no need to pass judgement. Even while holding a certain belief, it's good to keep an open mind and learn more about others' beliefs.
Some people are rather unlucky, they have all sorts of bad experiences that make them think that the world is not that nice a place after all. Even while my mind knows that, somehow I still think that most of the people I meet are nice, and that they don't harbour bad thoughts or have bad character. Maybe it's some form of intentional naivete and gullibility, but there are times when it's better to view the world through rose-tinted lenses. It makes the world more beautiful.
Most of the Chinese I've known, apart from Singaporeans, tend to be mainland Chinese. And a lot of them haven't really left a good impression on me. Of late, I've been getting to know Taiwanese, and those that I've met have been really pleasant, and surprisingly we click very well.
Contentment and happiness... They're not all that elusive.