Kaori is addicted to blogging! The sheer number of words is getting to be overwhelming; Maybe I should go out to take pictures so that I'll have some to post.
Anyway, I'm always pretty impressed when people I know are able to express their thoughts beautifully in mandarin. The vocabulary, when I see it, I know it. It's rather like "oh! I learnt this before!" Yet having the knowledge lurking somewhere in the back of one's mind is totally different from having it at the forefront, ready to be used at an opportune moment. I don't know what to do with my mandarin since it's so limited and nothing really comes to mind without lots of prompting. So it occurred to me that before I improve on a third language (Japanese) or start on a fourth language (Korean), I should actually do something about my mother tongue.
It seems a little lacking somehow, that the only language I'm proficient in is English. Having some friends come to me for the proof-reading of their essays/speeches/short stories is quite flattering, although when I re-read my own blog entries I rarely see what gives them the impression that my command of English is good.
Language is fascinating. The more you know, the better you can communicate with more people. As far as possible I don't want to be tied down by language barriers, not being able to express myself although I desperately want to. Considering that learning is a never-ending process, picking up languages throughout my life seems to be a worthwhile effort. Yet I don't want to be a jack of all trades, master of none. English, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean. The first for usability and convenience, the second for personal ties, the third for heritage, the fourth for friendship and interest. My focus for now. :)