About

Ramblings. Rantings. Ravings.

The Lady

22-year-old supergirl

Desires

freedom
courage
patience

Your Say


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Entertainment

. postsecret
. icanhascheezburger
. xiaxue
. papergirlsshop
. crunchyroll

Recent Entries

> i like japanese classes :)
> module booboos
> don't *beep* with someone's future!
> the child within
> living to eat :)
> socialising
> on languages
> professor-activated rant
> back to school: day 2
> blood ties

Lost Memories

> April 2007
> May 2007
> June 2007
> July 2007
> August 2007
> September 2007
> October 2007
> November 2007
> December 2007
> January 2008
> February 2008
> March 2008
> April 2008
> May 2008
> June 2008
> July 2008
> August 2008
> September 2008
> October 2008
> November 2008
> December 2008
> January 2009
> February 2009
> March 2009
> April 2009
> May 2009
> June 2009
> July 2009
> August 2009
> September 2009
> October 2009
> December 2009
> February 2010
> April 2010
> June 2010
> September 2010
> October 2010
> November 2010
> December 2010
> January 2011

Thanks To

Designer: blueskyx* LG*
Edit: Adobe Photoshop CS2*
Fonts: Dafont*
Brushes: x
Image: o
Host: Blogger* Photobucket*
Thanks: Blogskins*

growing up, albeit reluctantly
Wednesday, 16 April 2008

We've really become adults.

I was catching up with a friend I haven't talked to in a while, and she'll be the first of my friends to get married. Then when my mom called we talked a bit about the rest of my schooling life and my future.

In the past, the future was such a distant concept, seemingly never going to happen. What I'd considered 'the future' was when you're of an age to enter the workforce with a decent degree, of an age to consider marriage and planning your life with someone else. What had seemed light years away is now a mere year away. I can hardly believe where my present had gone to. But I suppose every day's considered the future, because today's the future that you'd thought of yesterday.

So I'm a major in Economics, but I don't particularly want to deal with so much of that in my future job. Somehow I'm more interested in making use of my Japanese, so I'm keen on finding a job in a Japanese company. Preferably one that'll send me overseas for work. My cousin had said that coming for SEP is probably the start of my wanderlust, and I see some truth in that. If that's my goal, then I'd better work harder on improving my command of the language. It was probably a good move to request for two language exchange partners, one of each gender; I'm definitely free enough to dedicate two hours each week to them. That aside, I was toying with the idea of buying a higher level textbook from school so that I can study that on my own when I get back. I'm also reminded that NUS offers a course on Business Japanese, and while I won't have the time to take the course itself, maybe I can ask the lecturer what learning materials are used. Then, of course, to study hard and pass JLPT 2. Maybe if I study really hard I can go for JLPT 1 in another year or something. We'll see how that goes. For once, for the very first time in my life, I actually have an idea of what I want to do in the future. Even if I'm not entirely sure of what kind of line I want to go into, the underlying intention is to get a job that requires proficiency in Japanese. Somehow this makes me more excited about the future, because I finally have something to work towards (the first step - maintaining my grades -.-).

Beyond work, there's marriage. International marriages still intrigue me, especially since the afore-mentioned friend, who is a Malay, is marrying a Japanese. If possible, I want to mix my blood a little more! However, having said that, I don't particularly want to marry a foreigner if he is not going to work in Singapore, and wants me to live somewhere that's not Singapore or Japan. That's just me wanting to have my cake and eat it. Then again, back in Singapore, it's probably back to my usual life, moving around in the usual circles, which comprise of Chinese, Chinese and more Chinese! As for inter-racial marriage with a fellow Singaporean, hmm.... Well, I can have my wishes and preferences, but when it comes to relationships we don't always get the Mr. Right that we paint in our minds, right? Dreams and reality are separate issues, which makes this so-called problem a non-issue!

The future is vast and unpredictable, that's what I'd always said. While "the road to success is always under construction"(as I saw from a quote on facebook), I just hope there's something good in store for me somewhere down the line. :)

Labels: , ,

- supergirl soul-saved @ 12:49 am :)