About

Ramblings. Rantings. Ravings.

The Lady

22-year-old supergirl

Desires

freedom
courage
patience

Your Say


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Entertainment

. postsecret
. icanhascheezburger
. xiaxue
. papergirlsshop
. crunchyroll

Recent Entries

> Am I incredibly clumsy or what? I'd toasted my bre...
> if only you could answer my questions..
> One of the modules I'd mapped in advance isn't ava...
> -.-''
> cannot. give. up!
> too much sleep = bad?
> Through our eyes: Kyushu
> huff and puff
> why travelling sucks
> Results are out! Despite all the time I spent play...

Lost Memories

> April 2007
> May 2007
> June 2007
> July 2007
> August 2007
> September 2007
> October 2007
> November 2007
> December 2007
> January 2008
> February 2008
> March 2008
> April 2008
> May 2008
> June 2008
> July 2008
> August 2008
> September 2008
> October 2008
> November 2008
> December 2008
> January 2009
> February 2009
> March 2009
> April 2009
> May 2009
> June 2009
> July 2009
> August 2009
> September 2009
> October 2009
> December 2009
> February 2010
> April 2010
> June 2010
> September 2010
> October 2010
> November 2010
> December 2010
> January 2011

Thanks To

Designer: blueskyx* LG*
Edit: Adobe Photoshop CS2*
Fonts: Dafont*
Brushes: x
Image: o
Host: Blogger* Photobucket*
Thanks: Blogskins*

it's NOT only words
Monday, 24 March 2008

I've got mail!

More than halfway into my SEP, I still feel thrilled when I pull open my mailbox and see something inside for me. A belated birthday card + belated letter reply rolled into one! I'm always amused by how my friends, who have small handwriting to begin with, shrink their words even more, and squeeze as much as they can into a card. PR's letters are always really pretty though, thanks to her nice handwriting and cute drawings. It made my day! :D


evidence of squeeeze!

I've always liked to write. All my life I've been doing some kind of writing or other. In primary and secondary schools I faithfully wrote in my diary on a regular basis. I enjoyed the composition writing in those days too, when we could use our imagination and spin our own stories. ( Granted, I liked looking at the good scores I almost always got. Having my essay read in class, or photocopied and pinned on the class board, was something I was proud of. :D ) In secondary school and junior college, outside of the necessary essays (which became argumentative and less fun in JC), I liked to write little poems. Whether or not they were any good is besides the point. I started blogging too, and writing letters to the friends I saw in school regularly. Sometime after JC, I resumed diary-writing, but up till now it has never been as enthusiastic as my primary/secondary heyday. The use of computers is so widespread nowadays, it's almost no surprise that most people would rather hammer at their keyboards than pick up a pen and paper. Maybe my diary-writing has largely been consumed by blogging, but for the personal touch I still want letters, not emails.

There was a point in time I waited long, really long, for a single postcard/letter in my mailbox. But none came. Considering that I was writing quite a few friends simultaneously, that's quite shitty. Usually I just tell myself that everyone else isn't on a year-long vacation like myself, that they have to study hard to get the As because their grades count, unlike mine where I just need to pass, and getting As is for my own satisfaction. Then someone told me that if someone cannot take out 30minutes to reply a letter, he/she isn't much of a friend. That's too simplistic a view, but sometimes I do think "is it so hard to find time to write a page or two?" For me, I'd love to do that, I'd even get my priorities wrong to do that just because I love writing to people. That doesn't translate to reciprocal action, sadly, because some people don't have that passion, and they write because... they're obliged to? Because I force them to?

Okay, so maybe Singaporeans find it hard to write to fellow Singaporeans. What about the friends I made here, how will we keep in touch after we scatter to different corners of the earth in 4 months' time? Long distance friendships. Those really need more effort, don't they? After all, it's not like you can drop an sms as apology for having not kept in touch, and say "hey, let's go for a drink this weekend!" That wouldn't work.

Last night I was thinking about penpals. The dedicated ones write to each other for years and years, meeting only once in a blue moon when one manages to travel to the other's country for a visit. That's sweet, isn't it? That the number of meet ups doesn't matter, that despite meeting very irregularly, there are things to write about. That there are reasons for keeping in touch. That's communication skills right there, isn't it?

I can't help it, after another four months I have to go home. But I don't want to throw everything down the drain. It doesn't matter that international mail costs a few times more than local mail, or email, which is free. It's just money, and it's not a sum that costs the earth anyway. Maybe I just have an obsession with writing. Will you be my pen friend?

Labels: , ,

- supergirl soul-saved @ 4:29 pm :)