What if there's something you like about a person, and that is no more? Labels: relationships
While I was in facebook-stalking mode this afternoon, I noticed that a couple recently passed their third anniversary milestone. It made me think - what keeps couples together for a long, long time?
Someone told me that the pitter-pat heart and butterflies in the stomach do not last. Once you get used to the person, your mind stops sending out those electrical signals that send your nervous system into overdrive. In the long run, what sustains a relationship is the communication skill.
What about international couples? Where each doesn't speak the other's mother tongue well, and rely predominantly on a third language which both aren't proficient in? How does a couple in that situation communicate?
What is right, what is wrong, what is best?
There was a time when I fell back on persistently comparing my relationship to a friend's, because hers seemed like a role-model relationship to me. Unlike mine, which was fraught with quarrels and numerous other obstacles. It seemed like that couple would have the answer to all my questions; I just needed to analyse their relationship and learn. So I continued that way, blindly turning to them whenever I hit a rut. Until one day, I was sat down and told that I cannot compare relationships that way, that we're all individuals, and what's right for them may not necessarily work for me. Cut loose, I floundered and tried to keep things going as best as I could, as much as I could, until it ended in a natural demise.
And... I don't know how to end this entry. I'm in a strange mood.