I'm never going to take night buses on my own again! I managed to get to Fukuoka by plane just fine, didn't get lost en route to the airport or anything like that, but I got a huuuge scare at Kyoto on the way back. At the check-in counter they couldn't find my name, and the person i/c called someone and they couldn't find traces of my name or my reservation number. So the lady told me to try other counters. By that time, having stood at the counter for so many minutes while numerous others got their bus numbers and passed me by, I was feeling quite panicky already. After I left the counter, looked around at the huge mess around me with the many different counters and throngs of people, I thought "oh shit". What to do? The emergency number I have didn't put me through to anyone, so I called Shuying feeling damn worried I'll have to catch a train back to her place and stay another night or two. Turns out I copied down the emergency number wrongly, so I took down the right one and called the person. I tried conversing in Japanese but I was so panicked I couldn't think and formulate proper sentences, forgot everything about desu/masu and basically wasn't very coherent, but thank god the guy could speak English. To my relief he confirmed I have a reservation then when he asked the time of the bus (which was 11.20pm, and it was 11.40pm when he asked that - hey, I had to stand in the long line for the stupid check-in and stand longer for her to try to locate my name and call whoever!), he said, "But your bus has left!" Inwardly I was crying "noooooooooo!" but I just gave the guy my number and asked him to call back because I had an incoming call. Guess who? The person in charge of locating lost sheep for my bus. I had a reservation with that damn company whose counter I was queueing at after all! I was quite pissed about it, then I got on the bus with pounding heart and flared temper and all, and found someone else sitting in my seat! Just great! But whatever, I just took the available one in front since it's just a case of messed up order, thankful that I was on the bus back to Tokyo as planned (although I could have done without the scare). Slept in fits in the thankfully not-so-cramped bus, reached Shinjuku earlier than expected, and it was freezing. "Why is Tokyo colder than Kyoto at 6am?!" I thought.
[ It was funny how sy mailed me and said she was all ready to pick me up from the station, and that she actually retrieved my bath towel from the laundry basket in preparation for my failed bus trip back to Tokyo, and return to her area. =p Well girl, turns out you had the bed to yourself after all! ]
The last leg of the journey - walking home from the station. I was slipping all over the damn sidewalk as though I was walking on ice! I glanced behind to see if anyone saw my unglamorous moments but I think I was lucky; No one behind, only in front. -heaves sigh of relief- Last few metres to the dormitory. Dragging luggage, roll roll roll... Hit a rut, and the handle slipped out of my hand because I didn't grip tightly enough, and the luggage clattered to the ground in front of some old man. How embarrassing. Feigning indifference, I squatted, picked it up, continued on my journey.
Gawwwwd, it feels good to be back. No more lugging the heavy suitcase up and down long flights of stairs (just my luck!) because I don't know where the escalators/elevators are. No more hotel hopping, or transport panicking. Just me and my room. It's just that I didn't realise, or should I say I forgot, what a mess I left my room in.
Laundry and room cleaning time when I wake up later. Anyhow, good morning Tokyo! I am back! :D