About

Ramblings. Rantings. Ravings.

The Lady

22-year-old supergirl

Desires

freedom
courage
patience

Your Say


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Entertainment

. postsecret
. icanhascheezburger
. xiaxue
. papergirlsshop
. crunchyroll

Recent Entries

> huff and puff
> why travelling sucks
> Results are out! Despite all the time I spent play...
> purikura fanatics alert!
> What a rainy day today! Surprisingly I was okay go...
> T for travelling! :D
> Finally, a computer! Our travels around Kyushu so ...
> kippo yo!
> :D:D:D:D:D
> 何を言ってるか、do you 明白?

Lost Memories

> April 2007
> May 2007
> June 2007
> July 2007
> August 2007
> September 2007
> October 2007
> November 2007
> December 2007
> January 2008
> February 2008
> March 2008
> April 2008
> May 2008
> June 2008
> July 2008
> August 2008
> September 2008
> October 2008
> November 2008
> December 2008
> January 2009
> February 2009
> March 2009
> April 2009
> May 2009
> June 2009
> July 2009
> August 2009
> September 2009
> October 2009
> December 2009
> February 2010
> April 2010
> June 2010
> September 2010
> October 2010
> November 2010
> December 2010
> January 2011

Thanks To

Designer: blueskyx* LG*
Edit: Adobe Photoshop CS2*
Fonts: Dafont*
Brushes: x
Image: o
Host: Blogger* Photobucket*
Thanks: Blogskins*

Through our eyes: Kyushu
Wednesday, 19 March 2008

Finally I am getting down to blogging about my two-week-long travel, which saw us running around Kyushu, hopping over to Hiroshima, before heading for Kyoto. Every time I travel, I have some kind of thoughts about the company. Instead of merely saying that "it's the company that makes the difference", this time I had some kind of epiphany about what exactly it is about the company this time that made the trip so enjoyable. Yes, we have known each other for years so we're familiar with each other, comfortable in each other's presence, have good conversations... But my realisation this time is that it's about the singing. Being stuck in buses or walking about getting to destinations half of the time is boring, so I entertain myself by singing. It is most wonderful breaking into song, and a few words into the verse, she recognises the song and joins me in singing. It works the other way round too (even if her repertoire is more expansive than mine). Maybe I'm weird, but it feels very comfortable. Compared to singing a song which the other party has no inkling of, this is much, much better! A sense of belonging somehow. :) Due to that, and more, this holiday has been one of the best. :D

Stop 1: Kagoshima

Firstly, I have to say that I was mighty proud of myself when I managed to fly to Fukuoka on my own without any mishaps! First time travelling alone, and it worked out well. Anyhow, one thing I like about the sidewalks of Kagoshima is just how cheerful they look with the colourful flowers in bloom nodding their heads in the wind! They sure beat pink bougainvillea, which are the main flowers you see in Singapore. Poppies were a nice change. For us, the main attraction in Kagoshima was Sakurajima, a place with an active volcano. The sun was blazing hot, the streets were long and rather deserted, the landscape was barren and covered with volcanic rocks... There was a kind of harsh beauty to it, which reminded Shuying of Texas.


colours of the wind ;p


our mode of transportation: bicycles!


green and blue swathes of colour


classic jumps! spread wide, and scrunched close


passion lives here


this rock formation reminds me of a baby dinosaur =x


look! kitty cat! *hearts*


hearts in stone


that speaks for itself, no?


the sunset shot i rushed to take at the service stop


i have a thing for sunsets, you'll see :)

Stop 2: Fukuoka

Although it is a bustling city, going to Dazaifu (大宰府) made me feel very removed from the hustle and bustle of city life. There were flowers everywhere too! I don't know if they were cherry blossoms, or some other flower, but nonetheless they were really pretty. A very clear indication that spring is upon us! It also seems that there are towers everywhere, and it isn't unique to Tokyo. To Fukuoka Tower, we went too! As it was within three days of my birthday, my entrance fee was waived, and I got a free postcard and a slice of cake too. The perks of turning older! And I'm so glad we experienced eating at a yatai (屋台) because the food was absolutely delicious and the atmosphere so cosy!


LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!!


at Dazaifu, the main shrine


while both look good, i prefer the pink!


fields of gold :)

[ The walk to the ruins of the Dazaifu government offices seemed endless, so we entertained ourselves en route by doing all sorts of stuff. ]


for example, jumping in the middle of nowhere



blowing dandelions...


how long more do we have to walk?! it's been 20min already! >.<


what we saw at our final destination -.-''


so we fooled around again! :D

[ On the bus en route to Fukuoka Tower, I saw that the sun was setting! I was squirming about in my seat like I had ants in my pants. "I want to watch the sunset from the top of the tower!" was the thought in my head. "Hurry up, bus driver!" *cranes neck, squirms more* ]


evidence of the setting sun that I shot from the bus

[ Alas, despite running to the tower after alighting from the bus, there was a wait that seemed to stretch into eternity for the darn elevator. When I burst out of the elevator and plastered myself to the window, the sun had already set. Frankly, I was really disappointed. :( ]


i like this picture :)


no sunset, but the night view was good too :)

[ The picture above reminds me of Equinox and my two birthdays there! *hearts* ]


there you have it, Fukuoka Tower


the stretch of roadside stalls


two very satisfied customers

Stop 3: Nagasaki

I remember my Japanese language teacher telling us to go to Nagasaki and/or Hiroshima if we have the chance to. "It's not pretty," she said, "but it's a good learning experience." I'm not sure what I was expecting, but Nagasaki had a very sombre and solemn feeling to it. Looking at the clean city with its pretty views, it was a little hard to believe that an atomic bomb had been dropped on it and decimated the lives of countless people. Near the epicentre with all the monuments dedicated to the victims and to world peace, there was a hush-hush, sacred quality. The memorial hall, with the pictures of the victims, made the whole A-bomb episode become more real, more substantial. It's not just something to be read about in history textbooks, something removed from our own lives; It's something that can be felt. People actually died here.


the flame of peace


"the women at home prayed for victory as their men departed for the battlefields... we erect this relief, still hearing the bursting cries on that day of each of those women long silenced in death."


"... the right hand points to the atomic bomb, the left hand points to peace, and the face prays deeply for the victims of war."


the lighted columns point in the direction of the epicentre, while the registry at the end holds the names of all those who died as a result of the atomic bomb

[ But it's to be noted that Nagasaki isn't all about sadness and tragedy. Away from the epicentre, there are other happier feelings to be found. :) ]


めがね橋 (spectacles bridge)


a speck on the bridge


and of course, Nagasaki castella

Stop 4: Aso

Urgh, I remember Aso as the place where my stomach hurt for hours, which rendered the first day miserable, and where it rained non-stop the second day, which made the cold and dreariness unbearable. Going up Mt. Aso (2 degrees celsius, mind you!) to see the caldera and the volcanic crater was... interesting. I'd never thought I would be able to see into the crater!


very countryside


plants on fire!


and once again, the setting sun... told you i love sunsets!


we're so hot it's steaming! ... hur hur


see the green pool? that's a 98 deg celsius onsen right there!


this cracked me up ;p


and this is a volcanic bomb weighing 427kg!

Stop 5: Beppu

The bus journey from Aso to Beppu was the most scenic ever. In Aso, I'd noticed that there were numerous mountain ranges that were so flat they looked like many plateaus all lined up. And what do you know, the bus travelled on all those mountains! The view was gorgeous. Of all the places we'd visited, Beppu may just be my favourite, for the Beppu hospitality and the numerous pamperings available there.


the view en route to beppu <3


first stop: sand spa! (aside: what a flattering angle)


first, you lie down in the yukata...


then you're buried till only your head's above ground!


the view from the "burial ground"


we went to hell and back!


reminds me of the crater at Aso... green onsen!


our yummy supper (it's so bad i drink so often in japan!)


beaming after the mud bath <3

Stop 6: Hiroshima

Hiroshima seems to be the place of focus when you think "atomic bomb". Going to the memorial hall and the museum, I realised it really is a bigger so-called attraction than Nagasaki. Usually I'm not a big fan of museums, but all the artifacts there such as the singed hair/clothes, deformed fingernails/roof tiles/glass bottles etc had me riveted. They were tangible evidence of the damage the atomic bomb inflicted on objects and people alike, and gave life to those victims long dead. Instead of being mere statistics, I can now put names, faces, and belongings to these people. Just like in Nagasaki, these victims became real for me. After spending hours near the epicentre, we pulled ourselves away from war and headed to Miyajima, famous for the floating torii. As it happens, it was low tide, so the torii wasn't floating, and we could actually walk right up to it. Due to my ignorance, after a whole day out we went back to our love hotel to stay the night. It was really an accident that I made reservations at such a place! Having said that, despite its tacky exterior with the sign that showed different prices for different durations/times, it was surprisingly pleasant, and the bed was big. No kicks in the ass from sharing the bed that night! :D


monument for children, which came about after the death of sadako sasai



the atomic bomb dome, preserved to look as how it did when the city fell apart


[ I was too busy reading all the captions accompanying the various artifacts in the museum that I forgot to take pictures. But as long as I remember, it's okay. War is horrific, but it's admirable how Hiroshima and Nagasaki were rebuilt from the ground up. Amazing how flattened cities then are beautiful cities now. ]


i have an affinity with deer


what the receding tide uncovered


the shrine in front of the (not-floating) torii


i like this picture for its carefree feeling :)


evil deer. evidence that it gobbled shuying's brochures



us - friends for a long, long time :)


sunset at miyajima, with the landed torii

And that concludes about 11 days of my travels, with the other days spent in Kyoto doing not-so-touristy things. To me my four nights there were simply to spend time with a good friend, not to run around seeing more sights. Being able to do both was a bonus. :)

For all the hotel-hopping, butt-numbing bus journeys and walking, I'm glad that we took this trip, and that we took this together. Paired with any other companion, the experience would have been totally different, I'm sure. After all, how many people can be like Shuying? =p

p.s. My goodness! This post took me four hours to complete!

Labels: , ,

- supergirl soul-saved @ 9:25 pm :)