About

Ramblings. Rantings. Ravings.

The Lady

22-year-old supergirl

Desires

freedom
courage
patience

Your Say


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Entertainment

. postsecret
. icanhascheezburger
. xiaxue
. papergirlsshop
. crunchyroll

Recent Entries

> this and that
> juxtaposition
> I'm behind time again! It's rather annoying when i...
> more snow-loving (^-^)v
> running to the snow
> This will not be a musing entry!As I was researchi...
> loving living
> turn the radio on
> things happen for a reason
> happiness: then, now, always

Lost Memories

> April 2007
> May 2007
> June 2007
> July 2007
> August 2007
> September 2007
> October 2007
> November 2007
> December 2007
> January 2008
> February 2008
> March 2008
> April 2008
> May 2008
> June 2008
> July 2008
> August 2008
> September 2008
> October 2008
> November 2008
> December 2008
> January 2009
> February 2009
> March 2009
> April 2009
> May 2009
> June 2009
> July 2009
> August 2009
> September 2009
> October 2009
> December 2009
> February 2010
> April 2010
> June 2010
> September 2010
> October 2010
> November 2010
> December 2010
> January 2011

Thanks To

Designer: blueskyx* LG*
Edit: Adobe Photoshop CS2*
Fonts: Dafont*
Brushes: x
Image: o
Host: Blogger* Photobucket*
Thanks: Blogskins*

one after another...
Thursday, 14 February 2008

Dried seaweed, chocolate-covered cherries and cocktail so do not mix. My stomach is going 'urgh'.

- - -

Valentine's Day has come and is almost gone. What next? When I went down to the lobby to submit something to the dorm desk, I saw a display of dolls! I'd seen similar pictures online, but it was my first time seeing it in person, and it was kind of exciting.


got this off the net

It reminds me that 3rd March is coming! I just did a bit of simple research on ひな祭り, and apparently it originated from an ancient Japanese/Chinese (the two sites I saw gave me different countries of origin -.-) custom in which dolls are believed to be able to contain bad spirits, so misfortune and troubles are transferred onto dolls which are then floated down the river, taking the troubles away. Most families with girls display 'hina-ningyo', usually arranged on a five- or seven-tiered stand covered with red carpet. The Emperor and Empress are at the top, followed by three court ladies (sannin-kanjo), then five musicians (gonin-bayashi), then two ministers (udaijin and sadaijin), and three servants. All the dolls are dressed in the court costumes of the Heian period, which look pretty elaborate. Apparently unless there's a set passed down from generation to generation, grandparents/parents buy one for a girl by her first Hinamatsuri. I guess that doesn't apply to half-Japanese girls like me, since I don't own one! I also read about this interesting superstition that if the dolls are not put away soon after March 3, the daughter will get married late. For forgetful parents, the best way would be to not put them out in the first place! =p

It seems that Japan has a lot of interesting customs, like 成人の日 and ひな祭り (and I'm sure there are plenty others that I don't know/forgot about) which showcase something unique to Japan. I like how there are opportunities for the youngsters to wear the traditional costume. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I can't think of any common occasion whereby many Singaporeans wear their cheongsams or saris etc. It's quite a pity, isn't it? Anyway I digressed, back to Japan. Even Valentine's Day, common to many countries, is different in Japan. At least, it's different from Singapore. Who'd ever heard of girls "making" chocolate to give to guys on February 14, then on March 14 the guys reciprocate by giving flowers or something? And my friend told me that he heard that on April 14, those who didn't get anything eat black noodles. o.O Is that true, does anyone know? Why black noodles anyway? ... Everything seems more exotic here!

Life in Japan's good. After turning down the opportunity to go home, I've found ways to occupy my time. Post-Valentine's "date" tomorrow, visiting grandparents over weekend, going for a meeting, then I'm sure Yoon Jeong will hang out with me when she returns, and then we'll be off to Okinawa! Come back, do laundry, have fun on birthday (hopefully), then I'm off to Kyushu and Kansai. Making good progress to travel the whole of Japan in my 11 months here. Go, me! :D

[ Edit: I was just thinking about turning 22, and it sounds so damn old! (>.<) Nooooo! ]

Labels:

- supergirl soul-saved @ 10:49 pm :)