Recently I've started tuning in to some local (ie Singapore) radio stations online, partly because I was sick of my own music collection and wanted to listen to something different, partly because it feels a bit more homely that way. As I was listening to the dedications and wondering why people do that, I suddenly remembered something. Years ago, I tuned in to Perfect 10 daily, and as I also had the habit of staying up late then, I would keep the radio on for company. Apparently one day in the midst of work my dad managed to call in, and dedicated a song to my brother and I. Unfortunately I only knew about it because he told me, not because I heard the dedication. While my dad's usually the stricter and scarier of the two, he has his funny side. This little flashback makes me think "aww that's so sweet". Just like how I found it sweet that he called me past midnight yesterday and cheerily bellowed, "good morning!" instead of "hello?" Labels: family, Japan, musings
Despite having not been in Japan in a decade, within the past four months Japan has begun to feel like a second home. From my point of view, it's because I've family and friends (old and new) here. Much as one likes the culture of another country, and manages to integrate well into society, it wouldn't necessarily feel like home without those familial relations. It would be like being utterly alone in the midst of a crowd, with a glass capsule holding one aloof from local activities, looking in from the outside, being a spectator. Home may be something one creates with concerted effort, and that may be especially true after one moves out of the family home. However, that's not for me, not yet anyway. Home is where the heart is. While I've got my heart here, a bigger part lies elsewhere. That's what will pull me back home to Singapore - the home base, you know?
Family aside, I just had a good chat with a good friend without him going MIA or anything like that. Home is small physically, but... I don't know how to phrase this. Has an abundance of love? Rich emotionally? Has bigness of heart? I miss home a little right now, but I'm not ready to go back. Not just yet. Six more months, give me six more months to see a world outside of home, then I'll be back heart and soul. Although, of course, I will leave some for the family here, and the friends who'll return to their own home countries. (^-^)v