Wednesday, 13 February 2008
Good morning world! It's been a few days since I got up before noon. Trust me, if I didn't have a lunch appointment I'd still be dead to the world. =p
- - -
It just occurred to me that most of us probably follow some cycle on a daily basis. The first thing I do when I wake up is to stretch out, press the power button on my laptop, trudge to the sink to wash up, trudge back to the desk and plonk down in my seat, reach to my shelf for some food and start eating breakfast. As I eat I look at my tagboard and think of how to reply new comments. Of late I get tags on a daily basis, which is rather interesting, really. That aside, cycles seem normal. Expected, even. But I wonder: What if we're stuck in a cycle of mundane-ness and drudgery, how do we get out of that? It's certainly possible that we're so entrenched in the cycle it becomes habit, and we lose sight of the bigger picture (which differs from individual to individual). It's much simpler to follow an established routine instead of coming up with something different every day, or even from time to time. While it establishes some form of order, it sounds so... boring. Necessary?
- - -
How many people read others' blogs and think they know the bloggers well? I don't deny that those who read mine will get an idea of what I'm like, what I do, what I feel... I don't bury my entries with cryptic words and ambiguity. Having said that, my activities may be quite extensively blogged about, but don't presume to know my thoughts. This is the internet, how much can you really believe? Furthermore, we tend to read something and interpret it on our own way, which may be totally different from the intended meaning. I daresay that extends to more than just blogs, but in reality too. Reading too much into things, reading in between the lines when there's nothing there... People get the strangest ideas.
- - -
So, Valentine's Day is coming. As I type this, many girls in Japan are probably busy making (actually I agree with sy's friend, to me it's
reshaping) chocolate for their guy friends or romantic interests. Away from family and friends with no knight in the horizon, Valentine's Day simply doesn't interest me much. Not too long ago, with the spate of people I know getting attached, it seemed that love was in the air. Then one of my best friends updated me on his love life (jumped on the bandwagon!), and told me that good guys are getting fewer and fewer. I wonder if that's a call for me to stop being so picky and be content with what I have, or can have. When it comes to relationships, contentment is hard to find. There are many good guys around me, but I don't feel any chemistry with them, nor do they give me the pitter-pat heart that I'm looking for. Put it down to reading too many romance novels, but I have high hopes (expectations?) for my significant other. If I were to be involved, I want the whole works, everything my heart and mind wants. For a pragmatist, this is extremely unrealistic. But I just can't settle for someone simply because he's a good guy, communicates well with me, understands me... If it's just that, no butterflies in the stomach, what distinguishes him from being a significant other and being a good friend? There
must be something more. Until the time comes when something happens to shake my beliefs, or when I'm worried that I'm past my sell-by date, I'll continue to hang on to my ideals. Maybe if I'm very, very patient, cupid will turn his bow and arrow in my direction. In the meantime, my commitment apart from family and friends will be to this blog.
- - -
And that was me clearing some backlog of thoughts that were lingering in my mind, but that I was too lazy to organise and blog about. Not that this is very organised, but I realised that if I don't purge the thoughts, they circle round in my mind and new ones can't enter. Limited brain space. -nods-
Labels: musings, relationships
- supergirl soul-saved @ 10:59 am :)