Friday, 8 February 2008
where's everyone travelling to...?
someplace with snow....
such heavy snowfall...?!
The answer is that six of us (all of different nationalities! Korean, Canadian, Singaporean, British, American, French) went to Sapporo, Hokkaido, from 5-7 February! The main purpose was to catch the Sapporo Snow Festival, although naturally we intended to look at more than that. Travelling with people is difficult; Travelling with a group of six people is even more difficult. Having company day in, day out, it makes everyone's flaws more obvious. Maybe it's because our fuse becomes shorter, and we're more edgy and irritable. I hadn't counted on there being such differences on places we wanted to go, things we wanted to eat... Sometimes it was rather annoying, but all in all we kept the peace and had fun. More about some thoughts in another entry, perhaps.
= Day 1: Snow Festival, Beer Factory =
Walking around out in the open all day made for incredibly cold (and painful) toes and fingers. It was pretty amazing to see what people can do with snow and ice. There were sculptures on Narnia, Egypt, pagodas, celebrities, cartoon characters... Everything you can think of, someone can make it. The details and realism were extremely impressive. If only it wasn't so cold.....

this cute poster was everywhere
the numerous magnificent snow sculptures
i HAD to take with the cow - kaori, y'know?
igloo! reminded me of the one we made in niigata
it's snowing~
one of the beer buildings
another structure to do with the beer factory...
i like this! inside the photo library
looks so dreamy and out of this world
sapporo tower
back at night, eating and drinking...
sapporo beer! drunk and woozy? no, i just didn't focus properly ;p
= Day 2: Akarenga, Ainu Museum, Otaru, "Reunion" Dinner =After being kicked awake by yj, we headed out to see sights other than snow sculptures. I liked the old Hokkaido government building although it didn't look anything like a Japanese building. Maybe I've a thing for red bricked buildings. That, in snow, gives a very cosy and romantic feel to it. Otaru felt extremely quaint, there was a more old-feel to it, although sometimes it was so packed with tourists like ourselves. Nonetheless it was beautiful, both in the day and in the night. Much as I was tempted to buy a music box because all those available were unlike anything I'd ever seen in Singapore, I resisted the temptation. I love seeing things that I can't see in Singapore. Somehow it makes this being abroad experience more real, more... tangible. And this is the first time that I'm spending lunar new year away from my family. No reunion dinner for me, but I'm glad that at least I had my friends with me for a good meal that night.
just to show how deep the snow piles were - the bikes were buried!
cute warning to watch out for falling snow from roofs
like a scene out of a story book
stabbing her with an icicle plucked from the side of the building
the two musketeers. all for one, and one for all!
trigger-happy in the lift to ainu museum
at the canal at otaru!
picturesque, no?
my seafood (crab, ikura, uni) donburi
commonly seen in otaru
anpanman! i remember him from watching tv in japan when i was a kid!
i like to stick my face into others' camera lens ;p
shuu cream! (always makes me think of SHOE cream -.-)
i would like to drink in such a pub...
clock towers always look majestic to me
some silliness, at my behest
loooook! cute music 'boxes'!
the canal at night is beautiful, no?
i like this picture! :D
starry, starry night
our sumptuous dinner spread! i stuffed so many plates of food into my belly
satisfied (even overly-full) group
making a snowman after dinner...
while i flapped around to make a snow angel
funny how our initials together make KY - 空気読めない!Day 3: Beer Museum, Hokkaido Jingu, Snow FestivalWe noticed that we see stars everywhere in Sapporo, literally. Anyway, parks in Sapporo in winter look beautiful! Maybe I'm biased, to me anyplace covered in snow is beautiful. Yet you can't fault me for loving winter wonderland, right? For a Singaporean who's used to the tropical climate, I think I did very well in the sub-zero climate there, so here's a pat on the back for myself! *pats*
my star-shaped halo. hur hur
the museum exterior
my message card! too many koreans, so i added the voice of a singaporean ;p
i look so short beside these sapporo beer posters (which were fascinating, btw)
beer tasting!
releasing our inner child - snowflake cutting
snow snow snow!
jump!
i jumped nearly 20 times, but someone couldn't get the timing to press the shutter right =p
hokkaido jingu
our multi-nationality group, sans the singaporean
clock tower
delicious squid and scallop
L-O-V-E! oh wait... no, it's S-N-O-W!
the closest i could get to spore on lunar new year...
before we knew it, we were flying back to tokyo :(As I was doing up this entry I started missing Sapporo, with its snow-covered sidewalks, freezing cold, delicious food... Back in Tokyo, it's like "hey! I can walk normally without slipping every few minutes!" Still, I'm glad I had the chance to go there, it makes for a special chinese new year, to think about it optimistically. Even if all the snow reminded me more of christmas rather than new year!
Labels: holiday, Japan, pics
- supergirl soul-saved @ 2:59 pm :)