About

Ramblings. Rantings. Ravings.

The Lady

22-year-old supergirl

Desires

freedom
courage
patience

Your Say


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Entertainment

. postsecret
. icanhascheezburger
. xiaxue
. papergirlsshop
. crunchyroll

Recent Entries

> the pitter patter of little feet
> something about manners
> randomness
> phone calls make me happy ii
> ten years off my life
> The weather was horrible. It was cold, rainy, had ...
> phone calls make me happy
> bop to the beat
> Some time ago as I was on my way back to my dorm w...
> de bear sez...

Lost Memories

> April 2007
> May 2007
> June 2007
> July 2007
> August 2007
> September 2007
> October 2007
> November 2007
> December 2007
> January 2008
> February 2008
> March 2008
> April 2008
> May 2008
> June 2008
> July 2008
> August 2008
> September 2008
> October 2008
> November 2008
> December 2008
> January 2009
> February 2009
> March 2009
> April 2009
> May 2009
> June 2009
> July 2009
> August 2009
> September 2009
> October 2009
> December 2009
> February 2010
> April 2010
> June 2010
> September 2010
> October 2010
> November 2010
> December 2010
> January 2011

Thanks To

Designer: blueskyx* LG*
Edit: Adobe Photoshop CS2*
Fonts: Dafont*
Brushes: x
Image: o
Host: Blogger* Photobucket*
Thanks: Blogskins*

江ノ島
Saturday, 6 October 2007

*picture-heavy entry ahead*

So on Friday, I ended classes, did my laundry, and went to my grandparents' house. I brought my camera fully charged, intending to take photographs of the route to my grandparents' house, but.. It was hard to take pictures in the dark. The next day, I took this:


little gravel path leading to the house

My grandmother sounded very happy to hear that I was going to visit them this weekend, and while I was there, she was stuffing me with sushi and miso soup. I found it a bit awkward when I wandered into the kitchen and she told me to go back to the living room and sit down and wait for her to bring me food. =x

For the first time ever, the bedroom upstairs had only 1 futon (which my grandfather spread for me), as compared to the usual 3 or 4 when my family is there. But it's very cosy, and it felt like it was my own room:


it looks so traditional

Unfortunately, I couldn't sleep in peace because I had a horrible stomach ache. It must've been all the flies hovering around the food. When my stomach finally settled, I snuggled in and fell asleep, only to be jolted out of sleep and bolting for the bedroom door at 3.45am. Why? A damn earthquake. AGAIN. It's only been a few days into October and I've already experienced two earthquakes, bloody hell! This time I was less scared, and mixed with the fear was irritation. But that didn't stop me from rushing to open the door (those doorframes in old houses are more likely to get out of shape and become impossible to open during a major earthquake, and opening the door is to ensure an escape route!). How many people jump at the slightest tremor like I do? At my grandparents' place it seems more creepy because there are more squeaks and other noises made by the stuff in the room when the house shakes. Yet there was nary a movement from my grandparents. In any case, I am grateful for the big flashlight my grandmother forced on me.

In the day we had lunch together at this sushi place. For 105 yen per plate (for most items), it's cheaper than in Singapore, and fresher, and has more variety. But I didn't eat so much, because 1) I just had sushi for dinner the previous day and 2) I didn't want to risk having the toilet rushes. There was this egg roll thing with rice sticking out of it (bottom left in montage below) which made me think of... a piece of tissue sticking out of the box in the tissue box cover. Don't you see the resemblance?


even the plates are cute

Lo and behold, I made my anti-social grandfather take a picture with me! And there's actually a hint of a smile playing about the corners of his mouth, hurray!


ojiichan!

After lunch I went out with my grandmother to Enoshima (I think this is it) for sightseeing. We were walking across the bridge to the little island when we saw these:


mama rabbit and baby rabbit!

They were so incredibly cute, we (and a couple of other people) spent a few minutes there patting them, cuddling them... Super soft, super nice to touch. The kindly old man didn't mind all the attention we showered on his pets. As I picked up the other baby rabbit not featured above, I could feel its heart going thud thud thud. I wonder if it was terrified, although it didn't try to escape.

That part of Enoshima looked like a small bustling island, I loved the little lanes flanked by shops selling sofuto kuri-mu (they were just ice cream cones) and all sorts of other food and souvenirs. The things, the place, the people... It feels different from Singapore. I mean, yeah, it isn't Singapore, but still, there's a certain feeling. To me even the air smells different. Sometimes in Singapore I'll come across a particular smell/feel in the air and it'll remind me of Japan. Anyhow, I liked the quaintness, the unique Japan feel to it. Took pictures of the things/monuments I saw along the way:


they look very japanese, save for the huge and little satay fans

We were making our way to top of the island to the viewing tower when we came across this fat cat nonchalently going up the steps, purposely heading towards the food court at the top of the steps. It sure had attitude; When we called to it, it single-mindedly ignored us and continued on its journey. Reminds me of the fatty back home. :) Cats with attitude are cool!

futotte iru neko. kawaii!

We needed to purchase entrance tickets to enter the garden and to go up the viewing tower. Maybe I'm bias, but I find almost everything Japanese to look good. Just take a look at my ticket:


beats having only words on a plain piece of paper

At the top we had a bird's eye view of Enoshima, so of course I whipped out my camera and took numerous pictures.


yes i'm quite a bit taller than my grandma

We took turns to take pictures of each other, although sometimes we asked a passer by to take a picture of us both. I have to say, my grandmother is a terrible photographer. She takes time to figure out which way to point the camera, then takes more time to try to get me and the background in the frame although the screen's big and clear, then takes even more time to ask me if I'm ready although I've been ready for the past 20 seconds (I get quite exasperated), before finally taking the picture (which occasionally turns out blur thanks to shaky hands, or slanted o.O).


what you can see at enoshima

These pictures, I'm particularly fond of:


very picturesque!

However, I've to add that because I was quite some distance beneath the crow, it doesn't look particularly big in the picture. Either that, or that crow was small, not the monstrous ones I usually see. REALLY, I'm not lying!!! >.<

my favourite scenery picture of the day

For once, I got to see the sunset, instead of looking out of the window or coming out of class and going "oh, the sky's dark". Watching the process is enjoyable, I've never ceased enjoying sunsets. I don't think I ever will, really.


yeah i was trigger happy...

After a few hours of wandering around (oh yes, I bought myself a cute windchime to hang in the room. The earthquake warning, remember?), we were all ready to head back home. The train station is so cute:


it should lead to a museum, not a train plaform!

And just a random picture because the fancy struck me:


the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel ... is the light of an oncoming train ;p

Since there was still some light on the way back, I could take nicer pictures than the night before. You know there are lots of power lines above ground in Japan, right? In Singapore they're largely underground because they may look rather unsightly and spoil the skyline or something. Yet I find charm in them in Japan. Look:


they don't look half bad, do they?

And the other pictures I took that featured those power lines:

they actually look good! i insist that it is so!

I am so freaking tired as I type this, finally at the end of the entry although I'd started hours ago. Although I'd enjoyed my grandparents' company, and I know that they care for me and dote on me, I'd go crazy if I stayed with them. It's not just the lack of the internet, it's their nagginess and the repetitions. For my grandmother, it's even in the chattiness. She talks endlessly, finding the need to fill the silence with words, when sometimes I just want to stone in peace. Then again, since my mom used to say I'm talkative like my grandmother, that can't be a fault. Right? My grandfather, I thought he was quite a quiet person, but his chatting with me the night before changed my impression. Maybe it's because I'm their only grand daughter, and one whom they see very rarely, but they really pamper me and go out of their way to try to feed me, do my laundry for me, give me things to bring back to my room, buy me what I want, insisting that I don't spend my own money...

Choosing Japan as my host country for the exchange was a good choice after all. I should count my blessings for having family here. Hanging out with my grandparents can be really fun! :) Now, I just need to work on my Japanese so that I smile and nod while understanding nothing less often...

Labels: , ,

- supergirl soul-saved @ 8:06 pm :)