About

Ramblings. Rantings. Ravings.

The Lady

22-year-old supergirl

Desires

freedom
courage
patience

Your Say


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Entertainment

. postsecret
. icanhascheezburger
. xiaxue
. papergirlsshop
. crunchyroll

Recent Entries

> she'll be coming round the mountain when she comes...
> ... and i am back!
> hot, hot summer
> all aboard!
> 横浜花火大会
> SMASHING SATURDAY!
> paint my day with gay colours
> not counting down, but counting blessings <3
> all good things come to an end
> 伯父さん、ごちそうさまでした!

Lost Memories

> April 2007
> May 2007
> June 2007
> July 2007
> August 2007
> September 2007
> October 2007
> November 2007
> December 2007
> January 2008
> February 2008
> March 2008
> April 2008
> May 2008
> June 2008
> July 2008
> August 2008
> September 2008
> October 2008
> November 2008
> December 2008
> January 2009
> February 2009
> March 2009
> April 2009
> May 2009
> June 2009
> July 2009
> August 2009
> September 2009
> October 2009
> December 2009
> February 2010
> April 2010
> June 2010
> September 2010
> October 2010
> November 2010
> December 2010
> January 2011

Thanks To

Designer: blueskyx* LG*
Edit: Adobe Photoshop CS2*
Fonts: Dafont*
Brushes: x
Image: o
Host: Blogger* Photobucket*
Thanks: Blogskins*

seeing home from a new perspective
Thursday, 7 August 2008

I set off from home in the morning, rather eager to see more of Singapore after nearly a year's absence. Would I find many changes, or would it all still be familiar? From the start, I did what I used to do - run for the bus because waiting for the next one would make me late. Tapping my Ezlink card was just like the old times, watching TV Mobile was the same. When I changed bus, I was so happy to see that 151 was double-deck and air-conditioned! No more hot and stuffy single-deck buses, I hope.

As I walked down the corridors of the Arts faculty, there was a sense of novelty. Everything was the same, but it had just been so long since I walked those routes. In a strange way, it was lovely being back, but at the back of my mind I knew that I'd soon lose that sense of wonder; It will become very mundance, it will become the path I walk everyday with a lot of reluctance, thinking, "damn, it's a school day again".

When I was done with the briefing, I excitedly headed to Orchard. Can you believe it, I was actually looking forward to going to town! Instead of zoning out on the bus as I usually do, I kept my eyes peeled and focused out of the window, determined to scrutinise the landscape for any changes. The bus stop changed location, the shops inside Wisma are different, and Orchard MRT station had a makeover! Quite coincidentally Sarah was at Wisma so I managed to meet up with her for a while. The question I get quite frequently recently is, "Do you miss Japan?" So far so good, actually. I'm happy to be back. Yet when I was at Sony shop to send my phone and camera for repair, I had the realisation that maybe I'm not really acclimatised yet. Without thought, my answers to the staff's questions were in Japanese. I inadvertently said うんand はい, and on the whole it felt a little strange conversing with staff in English! While it was a refreshing change to hear English, Mandarin and other Chinese dialects in the bus and on the streets, I've gotten quite used to seeing, hearing and speaking Japanese everywhere. I need to get used to speaking English all over again.

On the way back, it was a little disconcerting when the train suddenly slid silently to a stop in front of me. Part of me was waiting for the announcement that said まもなく一番線に電車が到着します, but the train came just like that. Within the train, the voice making the announcements about the next stop etc was different, the things that were said were slightly different, even the door closing buzzer was different. Bishan station had a revamp too. All these made me realise that when we're around all the time, we don't take very much notice of the little changes that take place around us, because we see the construction and all that, and get used to the idea that there's going to be something new. For people who've been overseas, it's like there have been overnight changes, and it comes as a greater shock. I've a feeling I'd better get used to this feeling because I'll probably be seeing more changes as time goes by, and I go out to see more.

It's rather a pity that I only gained this sense of wonder after being absent for so long, and an even greater pity that once I get used to living here once again I will lose that wonder. Then again, knowing that, is there any way to deter that outcome from happening? I wonder.

Labels:

- supergirl soul-saved @ 3:32 pm :)