Monday, 21 July 2008
Seriously, now my days are so packed with fun activities that I simply don't have the time and/or energy to pack my room. Tonight, I went to the Yokohama fireworks festival with Takako and Yoon Jeong, and it was absolutely awesome. Someone told me that when his/her friend saw Singapore's national day fireworks, he/she thought it was cute, ie small. Although I can't remember what kind of fireworks Singapore has for national day, I have to admit it's hard to compete with a fireworks show that lasts for an hour or more. While there are many varieties, at the end of the day I still like the biggest ones best. I love watching the little spark fly very high up into the sky because that's an indication that it's going to be something big and impressive. Seeing the lights explode in the sky, followed by the booming cracking sound a few seconds later, was amazing. I cannot explain why, but those that are especially breath-taking - the kind that makes people applaud - makes me feel moved. While keeping my eyes trained on the sky, my finger was busy taking pictures, and here are some of those that turned out well:
big bang :)
colourful spots!
many little flowers in the sky
diu diu diu!
i can't deny it. gold is grand
explosion of coloursThe streets were extremely packed after the showcase ended, and since we were all the way in Yokohama decked in our yukatas, we decided to seize the opportunity and wander around to take pictures. I have to admit, having my grandfather's good camera in my hands made me extremely trigger happy. For once, I didn't have to worry about when the camera would start vibrating!
on the street closed to traffic
colourful ferris wheels make good backdrops!
the updo i did, and the obi i tied myself :D
fans to ease the heat, floats to quench the thirst
the yukata pair :)
minato mirai backdrop
night time is lovely, isn't it?
ultra man wannabes!Returned to my room at nearly twelve, then I realised that tomorrow will be my last night sleeping in this room that I've resided in for the last ten months. Like I was telling yj, we've come full circle. When we first arrived in Japan, the weather was blazing hot and our rooms were empty. When we leave Japan, the weather will be blazing hot, and our rooms will be empty. It's just like a way to end an essay - rounding back to the beginning. While it sounds like we've never been here, that definitely isn't the case, and we ourselves know that best.
Frankly, I should spend some time throwing some stuff out tonight, but the all-nighter karaoke and fireworks frenzy has worn me out. I shall leave my room in its current state and go to bed, waking up early later on and trusting that I will complete the bulk of my packing by the time I go to take the little cruise at night. I hope I will have pictures for that (ie I hope my camera doesn't vibrate tomorrow!) Although I borrowed a camera from my grandfather that did me a great service tonight, I very stupidly forgot to get the charger. Now the battery's flat and I don't know how else I can charge it. It is not easy to find a friend here who lives nearby who owns a Nikon camera. :(
In any case, that's not going to stop me from accumulating all the experience I can while I'm still here. I really envy the Japanese for having the opportunities to wear their kimonos and yukatas. For this period, I have the chance to as well. Slotting myself right into the Japanese culture, I am. :)
Labels: Japan, pics
- supergirl soul-saved @ 12:05 am :)