Saturday, 7 June 2008
When my life's very free and uneventful, I have to think harder to come up with something to blog about. Either that, or I blog nonsensical stuff. When my day(s) is(are) filled with activities, the matter is somewhat taken out of my hands, and I can talk about my day. Occasionally I am struck by how much fluff there is in my words. At the same time, I realise how easy it is to generate fluff, interesting fluff even! Going down the path of less resistance just means that I don't rack my brains coming up with well-crafted, thought-provoking entries that impress even myself. Reading others' blogs, I wonder if the art of writing comes naturally to them, or whether they have to work very hard at it. However, it is like what the quote says - "The obstacle to a great life is a good life." Life's good for me now, and I'm probably making the mistake of sitting on my laurels and not pushing myself harder. But here's another quote: "To err is human."
Anyway, we had another out-of-classroom Japanese lesson yesterday, going to 江戸東京資料館 as well as 清澄庭園. A great emphasis on museums and gardens these days, no? Once again, no complaints from me, because the exhibits were those life-sized buildings etc that we could go into and touch, the kind that I like! After the educational tour, we had some free time to make the rounds ourselves, so of course my friend and I fooled around, as is probably almost expected of us!
kaori the intellectual
yoon jeong the demure
KY the fools!At the Kiyosumi Gardens, we just walked around the perimeter of the huge ponds, where we saw lots of (ugly) hungry koi and sunbathing turtles. Osada sensei went to buy a packet of fish food (or more specifically, pieces of bread) for us to feed the fishes. It felt rather like a nature trail to me, reminded me of MacRitchie Reservoir!
before entering the garden
bird in flight!
see the little fish caught between its beak?
the extraordinarily ugly gaping mouth that begged, "feed me!"
the studious ones :DAt the end of the trip, a couple of us who didn't have lessons in the third period went for lunch with the teachers. After walking for quite a while - which, I may add, is not an ideal activity for feet in heels - we finally sat down to lunch. I have to say that while waiting to start eating, we have the habit of looking at others' food:

greedy pigs?
One thing I love about Japan is the myriad species of flowers that I can see at the roadside. In Singapore, roses are something you only see in florists, or in a bouquet someone is clutching, not growing from someone's garden, or from a plot of soil by the pavement. And there are so many different kinds of flowers sprouting everywhere, it's almost like Tokyo is one huge garden! At home we only see the flowers that are hardy enough to thrive in our tropical climate (read: bougainvillae), and too bad for us, it's hot all-year round, so the types of flowers we get to see never change. I absolutely love the colours here. :) Another reason why I like a country with four seasons!
from the lily family. it's so lovely <3
hydrangea - it blooms during the rainy seasonI'd barely been in my room for 10 minutes after the Japanese class outing and lunch before I got called out to meet someone who's here from Singapore. I groaned inwardly when my dreams of plopping into bed, enjoying the aircon and giving my aching feet a break was smashed into smithereens. I'd thought we were meeting later, for maybe two or three hours to hang out a bit and have dinner together! Frankly, we don't know each other very well, having only been in one Japanese class together for one semester, sitting at opposite ends of the classroom at that. Outside of that, we only took the bus together to go to the NUS Open House together once, at his request, and met up once for 5 minutes for him to pass me something to bring to Japan. Considering we aren't the closest of friends, I was rather surprised he wanted to meet me when he came here, and at the same time a little reluctant to drag myself out into the heat. However, since he was already in the area, I had no choice but to slip into a pair of flats and go out to meet him.
Since he didn't have any place in mind to go, and no suggestions, I suggested someplace I wanted to check out - Ueno. The park itself wasn't very spectacular, and I didn't realise that I'd actually been there before a few months ago in winter at night. Being there again in summer in the day was quite different. Instead of having icy cold hands I had warm ones, and instead of shivering I was perspiring. Most of the ducks disappeared from the pond, and the main "ducks" I saw were those that were actually boats being paddled around by couples/friends.
Then I found one on the grass! It reminded me that I'd seen ducks on snow, ducks on water, but maybe not ducks on grass. Also, I'm suddenly struck by the thought that... aren't ducks supposed to be yellow? That's the colour they always were in our story books, and when I think ducks, I think yellow. Maybe that's some kind of stereotype I have, just like how I'd always thought cows were supposed to be black and white, until I went to Malaysia and saw my first cow which was all brown. What a disappointment!
duckie duck. quack!There were also some street performers at Ueno Park, and this not-so-young man dressed youngly in floral print attire and heart-shaped glasses was a balloon artiste, of sorts. I was rather impresed by the minnie mouse he blew and twisted into shape in a mere five minutes or even less! That aside, he was doing some other things and telling jokes simultaneously, and I thought it was quite funny because I could actually understand the jokes. Understanding them made me happy too. :)

What is one supposed to do with someone who doesn't seem interested in the things that interests oneself? There was this perpetual worry that he'd be bored, but I didn't know what to do about it since he didn't have any idea what to do. Better one bored person than two bored people, right? So we went to Ameyoko-cho which was fascinating. I want to return there to do more than window shopping! After a trip to Ikebukuro's Sunshine City for me to do more window shopping (at his suggestion, mind you!), and dinner, I managed to propose the idea of going home. I'd been out for twelve hours, I was dead beat, and somehow while wandering Ueno I'd caught a cold so my eyes were really tired, my nose was itchy and dripping, I was sneezing, and basically feeling like crap. After politely declining his offer to walk me back from Takadanobaba station, I returned to my room with gifts from my not-so-close friend - two cream puffs for me to eat as supper just because before I got stuffed from dinner I'd casually mentioned I felt like eating cream puffs; and a lovely hair accessory, the kind on a stick to poke into your hair after it's been put into a bun.
Maybe the second half of my day was a little awkward, but it wasn't as awful as it could've been. Hmm. What does it really mean? I'd rather not know.Labels: friends, Japan, pics
- supergirl soul-saved @ 3:57 pm :)