I've always liked the out-of-classroom lessons. For Japanese class last Friday, we went to the Edo Tokyo Outdoor Architectural Museum - or something like that - and it proved to be more interesting than I thought. Usually I'm not much of a fan of museums, but this was different because instead of merely viewing from outside, we could go inside the various buildings/houses, which was pretty darn cool! Especially because the interior was decorated with objects that portrayed the lifestyle of that time, and I think some of those stuff were real in that they were passed down from that period instead of being newly bought pieces that were fashioned after the old style. Since old stuff usually are delicate, there were many "please do not touch" signs. Drats! The thing is, while considerate people like myself obey the signs, I saw this primary school kid yanking on the cord of the telephone although there was that sign hung very prominently! Anyway, while we had the guide, it was informative. Wandering around on our own after the class ended was fun too. I want to make another trip there!
keeping a fire so that the smoke kills the insects in the thatched roof
and hence the roof can be maintained for a longer time!
walking down this alley made me feel like i was back in olden-day japan
for a more realistic feel, there were futons put out to be aired!
my fave: the stationery shop! inspiration for a setting in Spirited Away
like the steps leading to the "cellar" too, it was so ingeniously hidden!
despite being vertically challenged, my head had a way of finding the beams. painful!
old sewing machine, telephone, cash register, safe
edo period 居酒屋. made yj wanna go in to drink =p
public bath, also an inspiration for Spirited Away
the guys' bath had a "view" of mt fuji, the gals' didnt! >.<
For Japanese Economy and Industry class today, we went to the Pasona O2 site in Otemachi. We got pamphlets in Japanese but I'm no good at translating, so let's just say it's about revolutionary farming! When it comes to food, the Japanese economy isn't self-sufficient, and the fact that 60% of farmers now are in their 60s, means that the future of the farming industry is in jeopardy. There were 6 different rooms at Pasona O2, cultivating flowers, vegetables, herbs etc. It was the first time in my whole life that I saw an indoor paddy padi field! A small one, but a paddy padi field nonetheless. While the feasibility of finding the resources for indoor farming comes into question, it has to be said that there are its pros - crops aren't subject to weather fluctuations, seasons, or any such thing. The climate can be controlled, which makes growing crops from different seasons at the same time totally possible. It is amazing what people's nimble minds come up with in an attempt to solve the world's problems. I was impressed. I loved some of the rooms, they were so fragrant because of the flowers or the leaves. :)
room 1: flower room
room 3: indoor paddy padi field! :O
room 4: fruits and vegetables cultivation
room 5: vegetable field in aluminium-foil room
room 6: hydroponics