About

Ramblings. Rantings. Ravings.

The Lady

22-year-old supergirl

Desires

freedom
courage
patience

Your Say


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Entertainment

. postsecret
. icanhascheezburger
. xiaxue
. papergirlsshop
. crunchyroll

Recent Entries

> these shoes aren't made for walking
> I need to return to the eat-less-and-exercise-more...
> beyond the borders of a classroom
> Hello, cold.After having temperatures hovering in ...
> you wouldn't understand even if you'd tried
> fridge fighting
> sort me out
> Good morning world.I am keeping strange hours agai...
> something old in sometime new
> when the nights get too quiet..

Lost Memories

> April 2007
> May 2007
> June 2007
> July 2007
> August 2007
> September 2007
> October 2007
> November 2007
> December 2007
> January 2008
> February 2008
> March 2008
> April 2008
> May 2008
> June 2008
> July 2008
> August 2008
> September 2008
> October 2008
> November 2008
> December 2008
> January 2009
> February 2009
> March 2009
> April 2009
> May 2009
> June 2009
> July 2009
> August 2009
> September 2009
> October 2009
> December 2009
> February 2010
> April 2010
> June 2010
> September 2010
> October 2010
> November 2010
> December 2010
> January 2011

Thanks To

Designer: blueskyx* LG*
Edit: Adobe Photoshop CS2*
Fonts: Dafont*
Brushes: x
Image: o
Host: Blogger* Photobucket*
Thanks: Blogskins*

the culture-immersion day
Wednesday, 21 May 2008

I've been feeling extraordinary inertia when it came to blogging and studying, but nevetheless, I'm here to do the former before concentrating on the latter. I had a good weekend! After quite a wait, we finally set off with the Feel Japan group to the Edo Tokyo Museum followed by the nearby Kokugikan to watch sumo live! Until I read my friend's blog, I didn't know that the museum was the one affiliated to the outdoor one we went to for Japanese class. It was huge, and very much fascinating as well! I especially liked the huge exhibits that show how people in the Edo period lived, or their modes of transportation... Pieces of paper don't interest me as much, and it's a pity we didn't have more time to explore the fifth floor.


mounting the steps leading to the destination


the extremely cool (and tedious) woodblock printing


after all the effort... the masterpiece!


a shop selling drawings?


coolie! 26kgs ain't that bad, we can handle it... for a while =p


an idea of what performances looked like


i forgot what stage this is... the kabuki one?


our trishaw ride~


killing time outside the museum shop

After which, it was time to head to the sumo arena to watch the higher-ranked sumo wrestlers in action! Frankly speaking I was never very keen on sumo although my mom regularly watched it on tv thanks to our NHK channel. However, since I had the chance to watch a national sport live at a discounted price, I jumped at the opportunity and grabbed it with both hands. And I am so glad I did! The whole atmosphere just blew me away. As soon as we stepped in, we could only gape at the sheer size and magnificence of the place! Seeing the place and the grappling wrestlers live is definitely a far cry from watching it on tv, and it gives me slightly more insight as to why sumo is so exciting to Japanese and foreigners alike.


the colourful flags of sponsors


pseudo-wrestling. i'm glad we don't weigh 150kg! ;p


the huuuuuuge place o.O


miki showing off her prowess


the pictures of the various yokozunas lining the arena


the many supporters/sponsors for an impt match

I came out of the competition grounds feeling immensely satisfied, and it's another item I can tick off an imaginary to-do-in-Japan list! Incidentally, as I was captioning the above photos, it occurred to me that Miki's one of the very few Japanese I've met who actually means it when she says 一緒に遊ぼうね. So... That makes me even happier. There's hope for the human race after all! :)

Labels: ,

- supergirl soul-saved @ 12:02 pm :)