I have survived my first language exchange session! *heaves sigh of relief* Labels: Japan
My partner is a Korean girl my age who was basically brought up in Japan, and her Mandarin is actually pretty good, so I'm still rather apprehensive about this. However, since she said she's okay with me, we're not changing partners. As friends we would probably get along very well, but as language exchange partners it would be more like she'll teach me Japanese AND Mandarin! I'd already told her my command of Mandarin isn't fantastic, but she just wants a conversation partner, so I hope all works out well enough. To be on the safe side, I'd better find Mandarin articles online to read, for the purposes of brushing up on my rusty Mandarin, and jogging those proverbs etc out of the recesses of my mind. We bumped into Jeff on our way out of school, and somehow all of us ended up having dinner together, which was fun.
Oh! And she'll be going to Shanghai for exchange in September, and if I do go there to visit a friend, we'll be able to meet up too, beyond the next three months. Hmm. Mandarin exchange partner aside, I think I'll probably be assigned another one later this week, teaching English this time. Besides that ICC one, on a personal front I have garnered myself another exchange partner, and this one I'm especially happy about. Whee! It's good to know a language besides Japanese - I can be useful here. :D
[ When life throws lemons our way, it is best for us to make the best of things and make lemonade. Brooding doesn't help, does it? We do what we can, in our own capacity. We help to the best of our abilities, and hope that we make a difference.]