Oh no! When I found out that I've been matched with a language exchange partner, I was quite happy. Then I received the email informing me of the first meeting, and horror of horrors - the language I'm supposed to teach is Mandarin! Most Japanese want to practise English, and I'd supposed that for those who want to learn Mandarin they'll be matched with those mainland Chinese, not me! Oh nooo. Now I'm pretty nervous about it. Why? Because it means whatever stories I share at the exchange sessions will have to be told in Mandarin. Shucks. I am a Singaporean Chinese, but I wouldn't say my command of that language is good. Telling stories in English, no problem, I can probably prattle on and on. Considering that I don't speak Mandarin the least bit at home, or with my friends, this is bad news. Eeks. I can only hope my partner's command of Mandarin isn't fantastic, so that I'll at least be able to help a little bit. Practise for us both, I guess!
I'd requested for two partners, I wonder if I'm getting two. If I do... I hope I won't be teaching the other person Mandarin as well. =s