From looking at posters, commercials and people when I'm out and about, I've come to realise that the Japanese are generally blessed with good bone structure. It is not only the people who grace billboards that have high nose bridges, even the laymen I see on the streets, on trains etc have that too. ("Unfair!" something in me cries out.) Some of us here are in agreement that there are so many good-looking Japanese men walking around. Even if they aren't particularly good-looking, their style and grooming makes them attractive.
Grooming. Males do it by fiddling with their hair, and choose their apparel carefully. Females do that too, but there's the added responsibility of making up. How necessary is that? What is it for? Girls will say that they do it to cover their blemishes, or enhance their features, or to make themselves look prettier to feel more confident, or for fun... Sometimes we don't really think about it, we do it simply because everyone else is doing it too. A social norm, peer pressure.
Comparing the viewpoints of the different sexes is always interesting. While we girls may think we're gaining brownie points from the guys for bothering to doll up and look good, the guys are actually frowning in disapproval. "Girls may be doing it to look prettier, but that's not you," said a guy friend. I've heard many friends say that they prefer girls to go natural, ie bare faced with not a trace of foundation or concealor. I'd say that's bull! I'm sure that works for the girls who have been blessed with good complexions and good looks, who don't particularly need enhancements or concealments. But what about those who weren't so lucky in the genetic lucky draw? Would you really say you'd prefer them to "go natural"?
Trying to reason through this while keepin both perspectives in mind is creating such an internal mess. Okay, so for couples who're in love, beauty really is in the eye of the beholder, and the guy probably couldn't care less if she has panda eyes, acne splotches, pimple scars, caterpillar eyebrows... But for other guys, in general, wouldn't you prefer to see someone nicely turned out? At first sight, would you rather look at the pretty girl, or the ordinary one? The answer is rather obviously the former, no? And if we're not blessed with good looks, but can achieve those standards (or at least higher standards than our own 'natural' looks) with some help, why not?
At the end of the day though, I think we girls tend to do what we want. Like if I'm in the mood for cosmetics, no one's opinion is going to stop me from fooling around with brushes and tubes in front of the mirror. And I think I speak for most of the girls I know when I say that we make up for ourselves, not for the guys. To each his/her own! Applying cosmetics, while troublesome (for people like me who get out of bed with barely enough time to make it to my appointments in time), can actually be fun. The whole fun is in seeing someone slightly different from who I saw in the mirror 10 minutes ago. ( Different in a good way, of course.) We have the power to change our looks!