Labels: musings
B: "14/f/nygh. u?"
Some nights while I'm lying in bed waiting for sleep to overtake me, I think of yesteryears when mIRC was the in thing, and everyone was in some channel or other talking to virtual strangers. Those of us from the same generation would probably understand the feeling of meeting someone interesting online, but were at the stage where we didn't exchange any contact details. When we logged on each night, we harboured hope that we would bump into the person online. There was something more special about not knowing when that person would come on, and no way of asking him/her to come on. Two strangers in different places, trying to find a common time to meet. Will we be lucky enough, or fated enough, to be in the virtual world at the same time? There was excitement in that, anticipation... The element of surprise, perhaps.
Everyone likes some unknowns. If we'd set a time to come online, it would have become expected, unexciting. There's fun in not knowing. It makes me think - is it better then to withhold questions, withhold answers? I think that enigmas are interesting. Some may thrive on the 'mystery', of trying to find out more about the person, to draw the person out. Conversely, some may find enigmas frustrating, as though they're forever in a distant place, out of their reach. Whichever the perspective, I think that knowing too much spoils the magic.
Sometimes I wonder: Who are you? What's your name? How old are you? What's your school? Your interests? Then I stop myself from voicing all these questions, stop myself from satisfying my curiosity. Having all of these questions answered at one go may constitute an information overload. Suddenly there would be no mystery - the person would be so within reach, it becomes boring.
Maybe I've become more mature, or that I'm just trying to add more spice to my life, but I'd rather continue not knowing. It's not that I never want to know, I do. Just not right now, not so fast. While there are still unknowns, there is room for imagination and fantasy. I can paint a whole picture on my own, I can try guessing more about the person. The possibilities are endless! Maintaining the suspense, taking it nice and slow, maybe that's the way to sustain my interest in people.