About

Ramblings. Rantings. Ravings.

The Lady

22-year-old supergirl

Desires

freedom
courage
patience

Your Say


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Entertainment

. postsecret
. icanhascheezburger
. xiaxue
. papergirlsshop
. crunchyroll

Recent Entries

> Oh no I'm all packed and not ready to go! My broth...
> up, up and away
> 一首华初的歌
> monday blues
> you won't want me to dream of you
> Harsh words or gentle ones, they're two sides of t...
> even if you want to go alone
> happy coincidence
> *wriggles foot*
> FOC pampering session

Lost Memories

> April 2007
> May 2007
> June 2007
> July 2007
> August 2007
> September 2007
> October 2007
> November 2007
> December 2007
> January 2008
> February 2008
> March 2008
> April 2008
> May 2008
> June 2008
> July 2008
> August 2008
> September 2008
> October 2008
> November 2008
> December 2008
> January 2009
> February 2009
> March 2009
> April 2009
> May 2009
> June 2009
> July 2009
> August 2009
> September 2009
> October 2009
> December 2009
> February 2010
> April 2010
> June 2010
> September 2010
> October 2010
> November 2010
> December 2010
> January 2011

Thanks To

Designer: blueskyx* LG*
Edit: Adobe Photoshop CS2*
Fonts: Dafont*
Brushes: x
Image: o
Host: Blogger* Photobucket*
Thanks: Blogskins*

konbanwa!
Tuesday, 18 September 2007

Hello everybody, greetings from Japan! I was too bored in my dorm room, so I grabbed my laptop and came down to the common PC area so that i can use the internet. Everything's pretty much good so far. :)

Monday, 17 September 2007:

The flight to Japan was awesome. Once again, I got to see the sunrise, and I loved watching the sky streaked with pink, purple and orange, with the propellers of the plane turning to a fiery orange as they reflected the sunlight. I thought it looked like the propellers were on fire. This time, the hours didn’t pass by as miserably because there was very good in-flight entertainment. There was a mini-screen on the seat in front of us, and we could watch movies, tv dramas/comedies/documentaries etc, listen to the radio… I was so psyched I couldn’t get to sleep. But as the plane was taking off I felt a little unprepared to go, and I felt sad thinking of the people I’d left behind at the airport.




Maybe it’s been too long since I last went to Japan; I didn’t find anything about Narita Airport remotely familiar. It also seems to be the first time as far as I can remember that my grandparents picked us up at the airport. After all, we usually take the train there. In any case, when I stepped on Japan soil, I thought “here I am. And here I’ll be for the next year.” It still seems hard to believe.

Sometimes even when transitions have taken place, they appear to take place so smoothly that it doesn’t seem to be anything out of the ordinary. I was stoning in the car, surrounded by conversation in Japanese, and it occurred to me that I wasn’t feeling particularly amazed, didn’t think that it’s weird because I usually am surrounded by English. That’s why it seems as though I’d never left such a Japanese environment. Either I adapt really fast, or my mind hasn’t caught up with my body.

So after we’d slacked a little, we headed to my grant-aunt’s place for a visit. It’s the first proper visit I remember, since the last time we met was eons ago at the hospital. I like her a lot. My grandmother suggested a place for lunch, and it turned out to be a really classy traditional Japanese restaurant. Everything looked fantastic, even the toilet! There were so many different buttons (I was fascinated by the one labeled ‘massage’. I wonder if people spend a long time sitting on the toilet seat experimenting with all it has to offer), and it was just so pretty. In fact, I thought I stepped into a hotel when I stepped into the toilet, that’s how good it looks. The food was quite heavy on the tofu (apparently that place is famous for its tofu), but it was extremely delicious. There were so many courses of small portions, arranged artfully in very tasteful dishes. I love the place! I quite regret not bringing my camera out with me. I thought we were only going out for a short visit. Sigh. I wonder if my future friends and I will visit such a place together. It’s not exactly very cheap, but I’d love photos of such a place! BUT my grandmother said she’ll bring me there again. :D

We had a wonderful dinner – sushi home delivery! It was very fresh, and very yummy.


yummy dinner + sights in/from grandparents' place

- - -

So that's some of what I typed at my grandparents' house yesterday on word because I was bored with no net access. Today I moved into my dorm room, and it's not as small as I'd expected, and i find it rather quaint, so all in all it's good! After I'd unpacked I realised that I actually have very few clothes to last me for a whole year. And I'll look so boring wearing the same things again and again. Hais, but can't be helped. I also realised, after my parents left, that my mom forgot to pass me the key to my 'food suitcase', so I can't unpack my food! Hopefully she'll bring it tomorrow.



Oh yeah we found out that there's a Daiso near my dorm, and I think that will be one of my favourite hangouts. What's even greater is that Daiso in Japan is cheaper than Daiso in Singapore! The one here sells everything at 100yen, and seeing as how 100yen is about S$1.30, it's easy to figure out why I love the one here. Another difference about supermarkets here is that after the cashier has checked out your items, a plastic bag or two is dumped inside your basket, and that's it. Yeah you got it right, you've got to pack the things yourself. Interesting huh? Saves time and energy for the staff.

I've met one of my neighbours so far, she's a half-Japanese from Austria who's here for a year to study only Japanese. Wow. Apparently the other people whom she met a week ago are also here for the language programme, which probably means their command of the language will thrash mine. Mari's pretty friendly and open, I hope the other two near me (Americans, apparently) are as nice too. As I was walking past the tv area just now I saw a bunch of 5 girls there, but a bit paiseh to go over to say hi and chit chat, so for now... I'm relatively friendless and bored. Once my battery runs out I'll go back to my room and maybe, just maybe, I'll go and watch tv and make friends if there are any to be made.

The thought of not having friends for long is scary! Tomorrow will be a better day! Having some orientation at the Waseda side in the morning, and a dorm orientation in the evening. That should ensure that I meet and interact with new people. :)

This is damn funky in the PC room there are four other people here, and two strangers just realised they're both from Germany, and they're now yakking away (about how to make a phone call from Germany to Japan) in German. It is way cool. I want to make foreign friends!!! ... But they all seem to speak English with an angmoh accent.

Labels:

- supergirl soul-saved @ 8:33 pm :)