My first weekend in Japan, I went to my grandparents' house to spend the night. I was to take the train there by myself, and the last time I travelled from there to my dorm, I didn't exactly have a clue what was going on. Naturally, I didn't have a clue how to go to Totsuka. But I decided not to take the easy way out by calling my grandparents and asking. I perused the Tokyo Metro Guide but I couldn't find the darn station on the map! So yeah, after getting on and off trains, I finally reached my destination about 2
tired, hungry and sweaty hours later. Mans did I feel pleased with myself or what.
The next day we went shopping at Yokohama for my phone! That place was huge, and there was an eye-popping variety of phones to look at. Actually, Japanese phones by and large aren't very sleek, but they are so much more colourful. Most students buy Au or SoftBank phones, but my mom and aunt, being Japanese, prefer the most established DoCoMo. So I didn't get a chance to peruse the other phones. Anyhow, here's a look at my kickass new phone (I can watch tv on it!):
While waiting for the phone, we went shopping, and my mommy bought me this winter outfit, a dress/coat-like thingy with a black turtleneck worn inside. It's quite cute (and quite expensive), and I like it! I should find leggings and boots to match it, hahaha. Since it was quite a classy brand, the changing room had to look good enough to match its prices. I snuck a photo of it:
My uncle then sent me all the way back to my dorm, where he helped me unload my numerous bags of clothes (I brought some of my mom's old clothes back from my grandma's place. My mom had a really small waist last time, and I got fatter recently, so some stuff are a bit tight, and they all told me not to eat for a day or something to lose weight so the clothes would fit more comfortably >.<) and they followed me up to my room. Somehow I have the feeling that he does feel some responsibility for me, because he kept telling me to call him if I have any problems, and that because he works nearby in Shibuya, he'll come and look in on me and call me sometimes. Likewise, my grandparents tell me to call them, and to visit occasionally if I've the time, and to study hard and take care of myself. It's weird how my grandfather seems a little distant at times, like he doesn't care very much about me. I'd mentioned it to my mom, but she said he's a little old-fashioned and behaves as though he doesn't care when he does. When I called him ojiichan on the phone apparently he was really happy, and he wanted to give my mom money to pass to me, which she made him do so personally. So... It's heartwarming to know I've got relatives who're not so far away who'll help me along if I meet any difficulties. I know, I know, I'm not exactly being very independent this way, but hey, at least I'm away from my parents. (Although my grandmother seems determined to mollycoddle me and bring me shopping and give me whatever I want.) It's rather tiring trying to fend off her advances when she approaches me with a packet of juice, or insists that I bring some bun back to my room, or deodorant... She has a whole lot of stuff in that house! Thing is, I don't need that many stuff. Then again, it's hard to complain when people care.