Yes, we learn something new everyday! Over brunch just now, my mom and I were talking about my upcoming trip to Japan. I found out more about why I will not be staying at my grandparents' place, and will be staying in the school dorm instead. Apparently my grandfather was from the countryside - more specifically, he is the son of a farmer. As such, he has very old-fashioned thinking, such as we must be up by a certain time, and meals must be served promptly at certain times... Knowing that I love to sleep in whenever possible, my mom doesn't think that I'll thrive well in such an environment. Even if my grandfather leaves me alone, my grandmother, coming in and out of the room to hang out the laundry, will make it impossible for me to sleep. In addition, I've got a grumpy grandfather who makes noise about the slightest things, and it will probably be extremely tiring staying in such an environment, where someone is muttering muttering muttering all the time. Apparently he's stingy in strange ways too. My mom didn't elaborate, and I didn't ask. But I've gotten used to my parents' generosity, I probably wouldn't like someone tight-fisted. ;p Labels: family
Then there's my grandmother, who's noisy in another way. Hers isn't of grumpiness, but rather, well-intentioned naggings and concerns. My mom thinks she'll perpetually be on my back, asking me if I want to eat this, or eat that, or whether I'd like her to buy something for me... I could relate to that when my mother mentioned it. When my brother and I were in Japan, whenever we simply looked at something, my grandmother was very eager to buy it for us if she thought we'd like to have it. At that time we always bought at least one gameboy cartridge, and although we had money to buy it on our own, my grandmother would insist on buying it for us. Put us in awkward positions, when our parents told us not to let her pay. But she's a kind old lady, although a little sticky and eager to please. Suddenly I think of when I last saw her two years ago. Before that, we hadn't seen one another in nearly ten years, and I was quite taken aback by how much she has aged. Because my grandfather didn't come along with her, I think I'll be equally taken aback when I see him again in a few months. The ageing process reminds me of one's mortality. A depressing thought.
Back to the topic of Japan, it also occurred to me that there isn't a chair at my grandparents' place. Not a single one. I can't imagine not having a chair to sit on in my eleven months there! I'd become an expert at kneeling, probably. Hahaha. So it's just as well I won't be staying there. I need my desk and chair! It was uncomfortable having to be on the floor all the time when we visited, I remember feeling very restless.
Talking about such matters with my mom makes the Japan trip all the more real. And we'll need to book our flight soon. Only two more months...