About

Ramblings. Rantings. Ravings.

The Lady

22-year-old supergirl

Desires

freedom
courage
patience

Your Say


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Entertainment

. postsecret
. icanhascheezburger
. xiaxue
. papergirlsshop
. crunchyroll

Recent Entries

> balancing the good and the bad
> we never get tired of taking pictures!
> Out of the blue after dinner just now, my dad aske...
> pet + friends + food = happy
> bendability
> 家丑不可外扬
> said i loved you but i lied
> resolution counts for something!
> it's MAF once again!
> let the bruising begin

Lost Memories

> April 2007
> May 2007
> June 2007
> July 2007
> August 2007
> September 2007
> October 2007
> November 2007
> December 2007
> January 2008
> February 2008
> March 2008
> April 2008
> May 2008
> June 2008
> July 2008
> August 2008
> September 2008
> October 2008
> November 2008
> December 2008
> January 2009
> February 2009
> March 2009
> April 2009
> May 2009
> June 2009
> July 2009
> August 2009
> September 2009
> October 2009
> December 2009
> February 2010
> April 2010
> June 2010
> September 2010
> October 2010
> November 2010
> December 2010
> January 2011

Thanks To

Designer: blueskyx* LG*
Edit: Adobe Photoshop CS2*
Fonts: Dafont*
Brushes: x
Image: o
Host: Blogger* Photobucket*
Thanks: Blogskins*

i see the light!
Sunday, 5 October 2008

Ask, and it shall be given.

After I bombed one test and didn't fare too well for an essay, I decided that I really needed to pull my socks up and seek help so that my grades won't be too dismal at the end of the semester. With that in mind, I shamelessly sought the help of someone I only got to know (and not very well, no less) this semester to teach me Econometrics, which was utterly lost to me. Save me, I said, and he agreed.

Our plan was to first meet for dinner before heading somewhere for the tutoring session. I'd already told him through sms that I intended to treat him to a meal, and I insisted upon doing so today. Maybe it's not very macho for a guy to accept a treat from a girl, but he gallantly refused. Being stubborn, I badgered him to let me pay, and we were bickering back and forth, with him refusing to hand over the order form for me to go to the counter to place our orders and pay. I was determined to have my way, until he said quite forcefully, "Will you please just sit down?!" Chastised, I finally lowered my ass back down, all too aware that the middle-aged couple at the next table was eavesdropping on our conversation.

Honestly I was a little worried that our meeting will be awkward since we really didn't have many chances to chat in school, but to my relief we clicked pretty well and had quite a few things to talk about. In fact, I think he found me quite amusing, judging by how often he laughed, and how hard he laughed sometimes.

Socialising aside, I was so damn glad he was such a good teacher! There were so many things I was confused about that I simply didn't know where to start asking questions from. Turns out that he went through our lecture notes from top to bottom with me, being endlessly patient and explaining certain concepts to me several times until the light clicked on above my head and I smiled a smile of understanding. This went on for three hours or more, until Coffee Bean was closing for the night. Granted, all that new information clamouring for space in my head was almost making me literally sick (I was feeling quite bloated and mentally tired I felt like puking -.-) but it felt sooo good to understand and be enlightened! Now I see my lecture notes in a whole new light - they actually make sense! I hope they remain firmly embedded in my head instead of getting lost in lalaland when I go to bed later.

And I am once again pleasantly surprised by how gentlemanly the guys around me are. Because it was kind of late, he sent me back home, stopping the car at a place from where the stairwell was visible so that he could watch me safely make my way up. I mean, it's exactly the thing my father does on the occasions when he sends me home after a late night out! I was impressed. :)

So I have learnt that it is not a bad thing to open my mouth and ask for favours. And this personal tutorial session gave me hope that all is not lost for Econometrics II. I just need to get back into the mugging groove (which I have lost over the one year in Japan), find more study mates (ie make more friends among the Economic honours students) and I may just survive!

Go, me!

Labels:

- supergirl soul-saved @ 1:21 am :)