Out of the blue after dinner just now, my dad asked, "You got boyfriend or not?" with a smile on his face. It's the first time ever the topic of me having a boyfriend was broached so casually with such favour. Usually the issue is something to be frowned about, but now it seems that I'm of the age where my dad welcomes the idea of me being attached. Attached, of course, not to any Tom, Dick or Harry, but someone they both approve of. Apparently I've got bad taste when it comes to guys, so before I start dating someone seriously, I'm supposed to bring him home for vetting, of sorts. The thing is that parents, having lived much longer and having much more experience at reading people, consequently have many more prejudices and bias. Finding someone who meets my expectations AND theirs is going to be so difficult. But I want it that way, because I want the important guy in my life to be liked by my parents as well. Labels: relationships
Age-wise, I'm growing older, but I still don't feel very much different from the little girl who wanted to be in my parents' good books.