One thing that I've forgotten that always marks the return to cheerleading trainings after a period of hiatus is the pain. Especially the day after the training. When I started to come out of dreamland this morning, the first thing I felt was "urgh, my whole body hurts!" To think that it was only an audition yesterday! I suppose my muscles are not used to those exertions (namely tumbling, jumping, stunting, cheering, dancing). When real training starts on Thursday, that's when the aches are going to increase ten-fold. Labels: cheerleading
Persevere!
It will get better over time. *nods*
On another note, the new batch of freshies seem promising. During warm-ups I noticed that quite a few of them could go down into splits, a far cry from the other batches that I've seen in the past.
Certainly, as always there are some who are utterly unatheletic, but want to join cheerleading because it seems like such a pretty sport. I'm always amused when I imagine how such people are dismayed when they discover that cheerleaders need a certain amount of strength, flexibility, mental strength, coordination and lots of perseverance. It's really easy to sieve such people out. While it seems unfair, and there's the argument that strength can be trained, I'm of the opinion that if the starting point is too low, it takes that much more time to progress. And if they were never sporty in their whole life, what's going to make them change now? It will be such a waste of time if we take in such people and invest time and effort into training them, only to have them drop out because it's too intensive for them. Or maybe even for frivolous reasons such that we want them to cut their nails short so as not to claw injure anyone, and they wouldn't be able to go for manicures! Hahah. Okay I am evil.