About

Ramblings. Rantings. Ravings.

The Lady

22-year-old supergirl

Desires

freedom
courage
patience

Your Say


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Entertainment

. postsecret
. icanhascheezburger
. xiaxue
. papergirlsshop
. crunchyroll

Recent Entries

> yes, yes, lazy, that's me
> my say, your say
> warning: walking fashion disaster!
> There are some things I'd like to erase from my me...
> on rat races and paper chases
> school woes
> not good enough, not good enough!
> it's NOT only words
> Am I incredibly clumsy or what? I'd toasted my bre...
> if only you could answer my questions..

Lost Memories

> April 2007
> May 2007
> June 2007
> July 2007
> August 2007
> September 2007
> October 2007
> November 2007
> December 2007
> January 2008
> February 2008
> March 2008
> April 2008
> May 2008
> June 2008
> July 2008
> August 2008
> September 2008
> October 2008
> November 2008
> December 2008
> January 2009
> February 2009
> March 2009
> April 2009
> May 2009
> June 2009
> July 2009
> August 2009
> September 2009
> October 2009
> December 2009
> February 2010
> April 2010
> June 2010
> September 2010
> October 2010
> November 2010
> December 2010
> January 2011

Thanks To

Designer: blueskyx* LG*
Edit: Adobe Photoshop CS2*
Fonts: Dafont*
Brushes: x
Image: o
Host: Blogger* Photobucket*
Thanks: Blogskins*

early morning outing, anyone?
Friday, 28 March 2008

Good morning! At 9.28am, a time when I'm usually still dead to the world, I've already been out and back. After months of talk, Yoon Jeong and I finally stayed up all night and set off for Tsukiji Fish Market at 4.45am.

The main impression that comes to mind when I think of Tsukiji is: hectic. Everyone there was bustling around like a busy bee, and those little trolleys things were zooming up and down aisles, people were dragging tuna everywhere... No matter where we stood, we were in danger of being run down by someone or something. It was really hard to find a quiet niche where we could stand and observe and not be in the way. I felt the need to perpetually glance over my shoulder to make sure I'm not blocking anyone who's trying to deliver kick-ass HUGE tunas.


the vehicles zooming around at deadly speeds


don't play play, it's called MIGHTY CAR ok!


1) the display and selection process


2) the chosen ones being carted away


3) the head is lopped off (this is a huge tuna, really!)


4) then it starts looking like the slabs of sashimi you see in supermarkets

Looking at how the stall-owners plunge metal rods into fish and dig around, or make cuts on them, or chop off the tails - all while the fishes were alive - made me feel... squeamish. I can never do that; I could hardly stand watching them do it! I think my mouth just dropped open and I stood and stared while he massacred the fish. Bloody affair, literally. Sure reminds me of myself preparing the dead squid for dinner. I felt really apologetic when I got a grip around its head and yanked it off, then cleaned out its innards, and peeled off its skin. The tentacles are edible, and I usually eat them without any qualms when they're all cooked and nicely served on a plate. When I had to cut them off myself... I couldn't do it. Why? Because the beheaded squid had its eyes trained on me, daring me to sever its tentacles from its head. I couldn't!!! With numerous apologies I threw it into the bin. I'm not cut out to be a fish monger, that's for sure.


it is a bloody world out there

The things is, as long as I'm not privy to behind-the-scenes preparations, I am totally enthusiastic when it comes to eat sashimi or stuff like that. Maybe the preparation is gory, or that it doesn't look very good to see the tuna have its fins sawed off, then be cut into half length-ways, then cut into more pieces breadth-ways... But man, when they are all ready to be sold to customers like myself, they look so good, and they taste even better. Yum! So I had my breakfast cum lunch (and maybe dinner!) at 7am. I loved the maguro + uni + nakaochi donburi that I had. It was so fresh, and surprisingly affordable. :D Followed by milkshake and coffee. I absolutely loved that milkshake, I want to try making it!


the awesome float is on the right, in a cute glass!


served in a shop reminiscent of singapore's olden days

Hmm. One thing really good about having highly-organised friends is that they know exactly what they want to see/eat, and where to see/eat those. I just have to trot obediently behind, all too happy to let someone else take the lead. It's not that bad; I don't have to make many decisions, and I get to share all the experiences


a shrine with markers for sushi, fish, eggs...!

So... This is meant to be accompanied by pictures, but at the moment I'm feeling a bit lazy (see previous post) to upload my pictures to the computer, then here. I'll do it when I wake up later. Just let me finish my movie, fall into bed, then I'll be back!

As is obvious, I have been back to edit the post! As we were wandering around, we saw some cute little flowers, so I squatted down like Yoon Jeong (pictured below) to take pictures of them. While I was concentrating on getting a shot, my dear friend snuck up behind me, and nudged me with her knee from behind. As I was balancing on the balls of my feet, if she'd done it more forcefully I'd have toppled face-first into the flowers! >.<



Being out and about in daylight with my eyes wide open, I actually noticed that there are LOTS of flowers on the trees! I think by now, they are sakura and not ume. My goodness, they are sooo beautiful, and these are just a few random trees along the road. Can you imagine what they'll look like in a park with hundreds of such trees lining the path??? I need to get to a park, soon! Or a few parks!



Labels: ,

- supergirl soul-saved @ 8:27 am :)