Ran into a snag doing my module planning for next semester, all thanks to the module that I'd initially mapped being unavailable. It seems like I'm really screwed.
1) The substitute module I'd chosen clashes with another one I'm taking
2) I'm trying to get another module, but I've this impression I tried mapping it before, unsuccessfully
3) I may end up taking only 4 modules next semester, which means I don't hit the maximum number of credits I can take each semester in Waseda (which is 18)
4) Which means that I cannot apply to NUS to increase the transferable credits to 20, which was my initial plan to offset the 2-credit module I'm taking to contribute to my degree requirements
5) If 4 fails, then there is no point in me taking the 2-credit module, because I'll have to go back to NUS to take another 4-credit one to fulfill my breadth/GEM requirements
6) This thereby leads to me dropping that class too, which ultimately means I only take 3 modules next semester
7) The impact then, is on my 4th (and last!) year in NUS, when I'll have to overload for both semesters and take 6 modules each
8) Given that I'll be clearing many core modules and Economics modules then, I'm already scared shitless that my results will go down, down, down. No more S/Us, so the grades do count.
9) Which means I cannot afford to take more modules, which increases the risk of getting more bad grades, which hugely increases the risk that I'll lose my very fragile grip on my second-upper honours
10) The bottom line is, I cannot drop below second-upper! That is my expectation of myself. And... I don't want to disappoint my parents, although they know when it comes to studies I always do my best.
Sigh. Someone find me a way out of this mess! This truly shows that courses of action aren't independent of each other. This damn slippery slope is giving me so much trouble. *kicks* I don't say it as often as I think it, but I'm really very worried for my last year in university. Previously I'd always aced all the major exams that really counted, but this time it's so much more difficult because the results are cumulative. With cumulative results, one cannot afford to screw up. I screwed up one semester, and now I've got to pay for it. I should be thankful that my GPA got frozen for a year when I came to Japan (and still manage to clear modules, thank goodness), but... Considering that it's now at 4.08 or some such pathetic figure, I really could've used the boost from my GPA of 4.6 last semester. Maybe this makes it more clear why I always say I'm hanging on to second-upper by my fingernails. (For the uninformed, second-upper ranges from 4.00 - 4.49 on a 5-point scale.) I really don't wan to do honours and get a second-lower, it seems so pointless to me.
So. Back to the point. It is very possible that I'll end up taking only 3 modules next semester, and 6 modules each semester for my graduating year. And I don't want to do special term just for those 2 modules because I don't want to make my parents spend even more money on me. So please... Whatever it is, please let me scrape through with my second-upper intact.
This totally makes me feel depressed. Right now, I hate school! :(