About

Ramblings. Rantings. Ravings.

The Lady

22-year-old supergirl

Desires

freedom
courage
patience

Your Say


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Entertainment

. postsecret
. icanhascheezburger
. xiaxue
. papergirlsshop
. crunchyroll

Recent Entries

> when inaka girl comes to the big city!
> mind's only capable of boliao entries these days.
> Sitting in class earlier on listening to the lectu...
> if snow doesn't come to me, i'll go to snow!
> and so concludes winter vacation!
> I'VE GOT MAIL!
> Bored with a capital B
> I like looking at eye candy, because they're just ...
> does this shoe fit?
> welcoming 2008 from yokohama!

Lost Memories

> April 2007
> May 2007
> June 2007
> July 2007
> August 2007
> September 2007
> October 2007
> November 2007
> December 2007
> January 2008
> February 2008
> March 2008
> April 2008
> May 2008
> June 2008
> July 2008
> August 2008
> September 2008
> October 2008
> November 2008
> December 2008
> January 2009
> February 2009
> March 2009
> April 2009
> May 2009
> June 2009
> July 2009
> August 2009
> September 2009
> October 2009
> December 2009
> February 2010
> April 2010
> June 2010
> September 2010
> October 2010
> November 2010
> December 2010
> January 2011

Thanks To

Designer: blueskyx* LG*
Edit: Adobe Photoshop CS2*
Fonts: Dafont*
Brushes: x
Image: o
Host: Blogger* Photobucket*
Thanks: Blogskins*

成人の日
Monday, 14 January 2008

This weekend I popped over to grandparents' place again, and woke up bright and early at 6.20am the next morning for a yummy crab and red bean rice breakfast. Then it was off to prep. And after 1.5hours of being tugged and tightened, here I am!



PRETTY?

14 January is the day when the Japanese youth who're turning twenty have the ceremony to signify their coming-of-age, and most girls would wear kimonos and the guys would wear either suits or the haori and hakama. If you're my friend you'd know that I've already turned twenty, but I just took the opportunity to wear a kimono because I wanted to! I've always thought that a kimono makes a lady look rather bulky in the centre, and now that I speak from experience, after wearing soooo many layers held together by so many strings, it's no wonder we become so thick in the waist! The lady actually stuffed towels around my torso so that I become flat down the front and thicker round the centre. If I didn't misunderstand my grandma, the goal is to achieve a cylindrical shape rather than an hour glass figure. Hahaha. And damn, was the obi tight or what! (But I really loved it because it looked awesome from behind.) Walking had to be done taking tiny steps (or risk falling flat on my face), going up/down stairs or in/out of the car required the lifting of the hem and the sleeves, and going to the toilet was just a huge hassle. I was worrying that the long sleeves would fall into the toilet bowl!

Anyhow, Yoon Jeong came down to Yokohama, so all of us (grandfather, grandmother, grandaunt, yoon jeong and myself) bundled into the car and took a long drive to Enoshima. I felt like the old lady in the group that day because the older ones kept fussing about me, worrying that I'll fall, perpetually telling me to be careful, to walk slowly... For the curious, no I didn't fall, not once!


going through this ring thrice for good luck

Before I forget, my grandfather has a hilarious way of taking pictures using the digicam. As soon as he presses the button he puts the camera down, almost as though he's loathe to hold it up for an extra second. It just looked really funny! It's almost a miracle that some pictures actually turn out sharp. =p


with grandaunt who wanted to be in the picture (she's pretty!!)

I like wearing the kimono despite it being rather tough to walk and all. One thing about the "anything goes" Japanese culture is that no matter what you wear, nobody really takes a second look at you. So I didn't feel at all self-conscious being dressed up, partly because there were some other people in kimonos too, partly because... I just felt comfortable. It makes me think that it's rather a pity that in Singapore there isn't any significant occasion when the Chinese would wear their cheongsams on the same day, and I've this feeling that if we see someone on the streets wearing that, everyone will turn around/crane their necks for a second or third or even fourth glance. I'd feel mighty awkward if I were the wearer. That's why I like Japanese culture. Even if most Japanese youth don't wear the kimono much nowadays, at least there is this one occasion when they'll break out the traditional wear. Keeping tradition alive is important. I think so anyway.

[ Edit: I suddenly remembered this Korean family who approached us saying something about taking a picture. So I readily agreed and stepped forward to reach for the camera, intending to take the picture for them. Only to realise that the father held on firmly to the camera, and their intention was to take a picture with me. Apparently it's really rare to see someone wearing a kimono and they wanted a picture as a memento or something. And I got to make use of my Korean, even if it's to say something as simple as 'thank you'! :D ]


this is what the stupid pose looks like in a long-sleeved kimono. totally different huh!

When I think 'kimono', I think 'meek', 'demure', 'traditional'... Such adjectives certainly do not go well with stupid poses, but after a while it's boring to keep taking those so-called appropriate/suitable shots. I wonder if some people were appalled when they walked past me and saw me talking animatedly about something, with accompanying expressions. Who cares! At least I didn't do anything disgraceful, I was having harmless fun. :)


hello, kaori imni da!


yj eagerly anticipating the delicious taste...


but i was forbidden from eating lest i stain the kimono!!! >.<

Back at grandparents' house...


"weirdo trying to eat my flower! *grimaces*"


ojiichan, obaachan! :D


nooo don't talk to me about taking off the kimono!


one of the final shots

いい思い出。

I'm glad I had this chance to wear a kimono, and a long-sleeved silk one at that. While I'd love to try on other countries' traditional costumes, I'd feel rather like an imposter if I were to wear a hanbok, or a sari, or... Maybe I'm not full Japanese, but in a way I felt that I was understanding something that's a part of me. I also learnt that the long-sleeved kimono with fancy obi is usually just for the unmarried ladies. After marriage, they switch to short-sleeved kimonos with the customary rectangular-looking obi. I learn new things everyday! And I'm glad that this kimono-wearing day became a family outing of sorts, because it's the first time that my grandfather and grandaunt actually went out together to play with my grandmother and I. Surprising how quickly I got used to the tightness around the waist, the small steps, the climbing up of stairs gingerly... It was all good. I can't stress enough how wonderful it is to have family and friends in Japan!

Labels: ,

- supergirl soul-saved @ 11:13 pm :)