Before I came to Japan, I remember my friend telling me that I should learn to cook, and that cooking is fun. I kind of scoffed at the idea, because I couldn't really imagine myself in the kitchen. Or rather, I knew full well that I'm pretty useless in the kitchen. For a month after coming here, I basically ate out every night, gaining pleasure from trying the different cafes in the area. Maybe it was inevitable that I'd get bored of so-called outside food, because I was used to going home for dinner in Singapore at least once a week, usually more. So started my foray into the world of cooking. The current situation is the opposite of what it was at the beginning - I basically eat in every night, and venture out into the cold occasionally for a change of environment. Amazingly enough, I find cooking fun. There's satisfaction in knowing that I'm capable of preparing my own meals, there really is! So much so that I find it a little hard to believe that up till now, some people are still eating out most of the time. (I've never seen them in the kitchen in my block.) Some people treat cooking as a social activity, ie if there are no friends cooking together with them, they wouldn't prepare their own food. On the other hand, to others cooking is a norm, a necessity; It doesn't matter whether or not they've got company. I realise that most of the girls on my level cook. Almost every day and night you'll see someone in the kitchen cooking something. We're so domestic!
... Then again, some people do it mainly to save money. =|