Back in NUS, there were articles put up on some bulletin boards, on whether it's disrespectful to the teacher if students dress sloppily for class. I've always thought that for lectures where there are quite a number of students, it's less noticeable if one walks in in tshirt, shorts and sandals. Since we're seated, the lecturer is hardly able to notice our footwear. Conversely, for tutorials where the groups are usually smaller, it does seem rather unsightly to be dressed in dorm attire. Part of it shows disrespect, another part of it is about personal grooming and presentation. So that's that. Labels: friends, musings, school
I've never thought of myself as being overly old-fashioned or conservative, to think that we must be all spruced up for lessons because teachers are mighty beings, or that we need to fall at their feet because gems of wisdom fall from their mouth. Society has evolved such that most of us don't see teachers as being as revered as they once were. That's not good, but it's not necessarily bad either. It just is. But I draw the line at being rude to our teachers. When I see someone mouthing off at a teacher, or using obscene language before the teacher (even if not to the teacher), I feel mighty uncomfortable. That is certainly disrespectful, in my opinion. I don't think teachers ought to be verbally abused for their efforts to educate us, there's no sense in that, neither is there any fairness. I cringe in embarrassment when it happens, on behalf of the rude classmate. If I were in the teacher's place, I'd be terribly offended, and I don't think I'd be able to keep my cool the way some do, keeping their smile in place and continuing with the lesson as though nothing untoward just happened. Their ability to remain unfazed, that's really admirable. It's one thing to not like the teacher and mutter bad-naturedly beneath one's breath in class, and another matter altogether to be brash and mimic what the teacher just said, straight in her face. That's very hard to laugh off.
Apart from feeling bad for the teacher, I also end up thinking about my friendship with those people. Certainly, I can't pass judgement on people simply because of what they do in class (to give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they got out of the wrong side of bed), because I know them to be different outside of class. It's just that I wish their classroom personality didn't clash so much with my own values. I wonder if anyone gave more than a passing thought to such incidents. Instead of merely thinking twice about these, I think thrice, four times, five times...!
Maybe I'm more old-fashioned than I thought.