About

Ramblings. Rantings. Ravings.

The Lady

22-year-old supergirl

Desires

freedom
courage
patience

Your Say


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Entertainment

. postsecret
. icanhascheezburger
. xiaxue
. papergirlsshop
. crunchyroll

Recent Entries

> Are you disliked?
> The winds of change
> oops!
> in and out
> so happy togetheerrrrr... *warbles*
> My head feels like it's stuffed with cotton balls....
> crash course on growing up
> burn those books!
> when superman can't save the world
> Sometimes people are just so blind.We only see wha...

Lost Memories

> April 2007
> May 2007
> June 2007
> July 2007
> August 2007
> September 2007
> October 2007
> November 2007
> December 2007
> January 2008
> February 2008
> March 2008
> April 2008
> May 2008
> June 2008
> July 2008
> August 2008
> September 2008
> October 2008
> November 2008
> December 2008
> January 2009
> February 2009
> March 2009
> April 2009
> May 2009
> June 2009
> July 2009
> August 2009
> September 2009
> October 2009
> December 2009
> February 2010
> April 2010
> June 2010
> September 2010
> October 2010
> November 2010
> December 2010
> January 2011

Thanks To

Designer: blueskyx* LG*
Edit: Adobe Photoshop CS2*
Fonts: Dafont*
Brushes: x
Image: o
Host: Blogger* Photobucket*
Thanks: Blogskins*

Long weekends are most welcome!
Tuesday, 11 August 2009

I love long weekends!

I feel very much more recharged after the three-day break, and it makes me happy to know that after a scant 4 days of work it'll be the weekend once again!

Anyway I attended a workshop at SMU last week as part of the Spring ETP, and to my surprise it's actually quite useful and most of us found it enlightening in one way or another. I love it when I attend stuff that make me think of things that never used to cross my mind, or to clearly point out what's so obvious that we're blind to it. What I have taken away from the course:

  • Praise. Give praise and credit where it's due – it'll make people feel happy and appreciated. Singapore is a praise-deficit economy. We need to learn to do more than complain.
  • Employee-employer fit. We need to know ourselves and the company better so as to identify the respective party's needs/wants, issues/concerns so as to find a win-win situation in which we can learn more, feel useful and contribute greatly to the company such that it is worth their while for our bosses to train us.
  • Aggression is triggered. Our choice of words, tone and body language are very important, and it is crucial that we sound non-defensive when being given feedback because aggression is usually triggered by a catalyst.
  • We have a say in our employment conditions. In fact, we are actually entitled to voice our opinions, give feedback, and basically have a stake in our place in the company.
  • Network. Guanxi and goodwill will go a long way in helping us in our careers in the future, and it pays to have a large network to tap on when the need arises.

Some people sound pretty unhappy at their SME workplace, and I'm glad that I didn't join the ranks of the dissatisfied employees. In comparison, HMI is investing a lot in us by providing us with a month-long training so that we're in the loop about what's going on in the healthcare sector both locally and internationally, from organization structure to healthcare terminology to marketing techniques. I much prefer this than a tunnel vision of the industry, focused only on a particular job scope, squirreled away in a corner of the office hammering away at the laptop on one's desk. It's a happy coincidence, sheer luck really, that I landed where I did. Giving thanks for little blessings.

- supergirl soul-saved @ 1:26 pm :)