About

Ramblings. Rantings. Ravings.

The Lady

22-year-old supergirl

Desires

freedom
courage
patience

Your Say


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Entertainment

. postsecret
. icanhascheezburger
. xiaxue
. papergirlsshop
. crunchyroll

Recent Entries

> hey, you! friend?
> hello, memory
> そうしていいの?
> Photos tend to reflect the state of my life. I was...
> joke
> cheerleading stage
> Wow, the highest temperature today was 12 degrees ...
> when brothers aren't good role models
> of practical gifts and friendship
> daily humour

Lost Memories

> April 2007
> May 2007
> June 2007
> July 2007
> August 2007
> September 2007
> October 2007
> November 2007
> December 2007
> January 2008
> February 2008
> March 2008
> April 2008
> May 2008
> June 2008
> July 2008
> August 2008
> September 2008
> October 2008
> November 2008
> December 2008
> January 2009
> February 2009
> March 2009
> April 2009
> May 2009
> June 2009
> July 2009
> August 2009
> September 2009
> October 2009
> December 2009
> February 2010
> April 2010
> June 2010
> September 2010
> October 2010
> November 2010
> December 2010
> January 2011

Thanks To

Designer: blueskyx* LG*
Edit: Adobe Photoshop CS2*
Fonts: Dafont*
Brushes: x
Image: o
Host: Blogger* Photobucket*
Thanks: Blogskins*

kyoto, the land of the temples!
Monday, 26 November 2007

* massive picture post ahead *

The Kyoto trip is over, and I'm now back at Hoshien fighting with uncooperative showers as opposed to the instant hot water I'd had for the past two nights. Much as I'm glad to be back in the comfort of my own room, the trip was fantastic! Once again, I took sooo many photos of so many pretty things! (I also spent a lot of money, but that's besides the point.) However, somehow Kyoto seems different from my memories (from at least ten years ago), less pretty, less peaceful...? Maybe it was because of the horrible crowd that thronged the streets, probably people like myself who were taking advantage of the long weekend. Also probably become the place has become more commercialised. Maybe it's also because now that I'm older, I've a different idea of beauty? Or that my child's mind magnified what was there. In any case, different from my memories of not, Kyoto's different from Tokyo, and all its temples were pretty. I've probably had quite an overload of temples over the weekend.

Not only were the 紅葉 and temples pretty, the people were too! There were so many ladies dressed in kimonos, strolling around Kyoto, presumably to look pretty in their traditional attire among the pretty environment, to take loads of pretty pictures.


kimonos are gorgeous

Took forever to upload my pictures here, and at 4.30am in the morning, I'm tired. The pictures shall do most of the talking! This is where it all started, when we arrived at 6am in the freezing, can-see-our-own-breaths morning after a butt-numbing/butt-aching eight-hour bus journey from Tokyo.




kyoto tower (kinda like changi airport!) ;p

First stop - Kinkakuji!

The grounds were somewhat small, and now that I think about it, rather artificial. The places we could walk were so dictated, the sights were so man-made and seemingly new...? Nevertheless, I still appreciated the kouyou. I love autumn for its colours. :)


i heart japan!


kinkakuji


orange maple leaves

Next stop - Ryoanji


colourful!


inside one of the structures


those are floating leaves or something, not pollution!


fruuuuuuuits

Third stop - Outside Ginkakuji (left the actual temple for another day)


kyoto has the cutest stuff!

Fourth stop - Kiyomizutera!

The place where I finally met Shuying after we've been in Japan for about two months. I was so excited about meeting her! Like she said, it's not about missing Singaporeans, but about missing our Singaporean friends. And dang, was it good to see her familiar face! It felt so novel, meeting an old friend and hanging out in a foreign country, not the usual orchard road in Singapore. So novel, and so very exciting. Then we got to re-enact our Arts Camp days by sharing the bed that night. Warm and cosy, very comfortable in the chilly night. Thanks for putting me up! :)


one of the views from kiyomizutera


grand, isn't it?

The second day - Arashiyama

Went to sightsee with a whole bunch of Singaporeans (mostly in the Kyoto/Osaka area) + one American. I don't think I've had such a large Singaporean gathering since I got here! But not everyone had the Singaporean accent. Some were Americanised and didn't retain their singlish roots, yet held on to their TCHS behaviour. ;p The place was pretty, but what I really loved was being able to spend time with one of my bestest friends. Gawd we were hanging out together in Japan, how cool/unbelievable is that?! I missed missed missed the conversation, the easy camaraderie, the... everything! :D I'm so glad I went to Kyoto! The purikura (only 400 yen, yes yes, hahaha) turned out very cute too, I like.



posing with food (in the background) makes us happy!


arashiyama


picturesque


tired. sian.


ready, get set...


good friends do the darndest things


singaporean, singaporean, singaporean


momiji!


umbrella of maple leaves


orange orange


"weird friend"


purikura


<3>
Night two - Singaporeans in Nara

So we left the Kyoto city centre to head for our accommodation area in Nara. I never knew what was in Nara, but I soon realised - DEER! For the first time in my life I saw deer with my own eyes, and not on Animal Planet or anything like that. Doe-eyes. :) I think the Nara transition period was when we fooled around the most, as the pictures will show. I can talk to deer! (Or so it appears)

On a separate note, I decided to go to the common bath area to use the little pool ie onsen-like thingy. I was hoping it would be deserted since it was past 11pm, but to my horror there were about 5 obasans inside. So I gathered my courage around me like an armour, while my actual clothes were peeled off and dumped onto the shelf. I suppose since they were strangers and would never see me again, it didn't matter if they saw me naked. And at least there was no young lady with a hot bod to make me feel inferior, hahaha.


hiding in the futon cupboard ;p


tie1 qiang2!


big head. (actually i was wondering how people hid under such tiny tables in times of earthquakes)



deer: "what are those stupid people doing?!"


my current favourite stupid pose


*attempts jump shot* i look like a freaking bird flapping!


some deer, you have to go to them to feed them...


other deer, they come to you..


... AND THEY BOCHUP YOU WHEN THE FOOD'S GONE! ATTITUDE!

Fushimi Inari

On Shuying's recommendation (and I remembered the pretty pictures she took that I saw), we headed to this less popular area for a look. One good thing is that it was free (my pockets heaved a sigh of relief), the next was that it looked good. Then again, I didn't think that anything in Kyoto didn't look good, judging by the number of things that I bought.



look at how pretty the train is


big big


omikuji. you shake it to get your fortune


reminded me of the great wall of china


yuubinkyoku!

Last stop - Ginkakuji

On our last spurt of energy (and it was really tiring, not to mention painful on the shoulder, to lug all our barang barang around because there was no locker available!), we returned to Ginkakuji since Lissa recommended it, and I wanted to see it for myself. After we went in, and had it take our breaths away, and took a couple of photos, I asked, "Where's the ginkakuji (silver temple when translated, maybe?)" Wh points, and what I saw (and took pictures of, without knowing what it was), was nothing short of surprising. Here it is:


ginkakuji (it should really be KIkakuji)

It was simply an old wooden building that looked like it used to be someone's living quarters, and now is impersonating a silver temple, RAAR ! It was a bit 'uhhh' for me, but the grounds more than made up for it. The sunset was awesome, it made the view awesome too. I loved the last leg of our journey.


the stupid pose again!


an awesome ending to the trip

I could go on and on about the trip still, about my reflections and all. Maybe I will, in a separate entry. 5am is way past bedtime. Good night everyone! I had a great time in Kyoto, I hope to see familiar faces in Tokyo soon! :)

Labels: , ,

- supergirl soul-saved @ 1:19 am :)