About

Ramblings. Rantings. Ravings.

The Lady

22-year-old supergirl

Desires

freedom
courage
patience

Your Say


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Entertainment

. postsecret
. icanhascheezburger
. xiaxue
. papergirlsshop
. crunchyroll

Recent Entries

> 早慶戦
> it's about the now
> somewhere out there
> japan, the land of cute stuff
> shop shop
> the sky was wonderfully blue
> unmindful of the dirt, cold, and time
> onward, ho!
> tired, random entry.
> everything and nothing

Lost Memories

> April 2007
> May 2007
> June 2007
> July 2007
> August 2007
> September 2007
> October 2007
> November 2007
> December 2007
> January 2008
> February 2008
> March 2008
> April 2008
> May 2008
> June 2008
> July 2008
> August 2008
> September 2008
> October 2008
> November 2008
> December 2008
> January 2009
> February 2009
> March 2009
> April 2009
> May 2009
> June 2009
> July 2009
> August 2009
> September 2009
> October 2009
> December 2009
> February 2010
> April 2010
> June 2010
> September 2010
> October 2010
> November 2010
> December 2010
> January 2011

Thanks To

Designer: blueskyx* LG*
Edit: Adobe Photoshop CS2*
Fonts: Dafont*
Brushes: x
Image: o
Host: Blogger* Photobucket*
Thanks: Blogskins*

自分の命は自分で守る
Monday, 29 October 2007

Today's Japanese lesson was the most fun ever. Instead of being in the classroom, we headed to the 防災館 (Life Safety Learning Centre) at Ikebukuro to go through four activities: first aid training, smoke maze section, fire fighting training, earthquake simulation.

Come to think of it, I didn't go through any compulsory first aid training throughout my years in Singapore, so today was actually the first time I learnt how to do CPR. Okay, so here's a little recap because I'm sure I'll forget. That is assuming that at this point in time, I actually remember all of what to do, and in the correct order.

CPR:
1. Put my hand on the person's forehead, lean close to ear, tap shoulder, and ask in varying volumes if he/she can hear me.
2. No answer? Then yell "人が倒れました!"
3. Direct a specific person to call 119 for the ambulance.
4. Put cheek near person's nose to listen for and feel the breathing, while eyes watch out for the rise and fall of the chest.
5. Not breathing? Tip the head back to open up the air passage.
6. Pinch the nose, hold the chin, open mouth wide to cover the person's, and push two breaths into his/her lungs.
7. Pump the heart manually 30 times.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 until the ambulance arrives.

I found step 5 difficult - the dummy just felt heavy! Although I tried to be gentle in easing the head back, my partner said it looked painful. =x If it were a real person, my fingernails would be digging into his/her chin. For step 6, without a certain mouthpiece, apparently we don't need to do it in reality, lest we catch some infectious disease. And I realised we have to blow quite hard to make the chest rise. And step 7? It was painful. My bottom hand hurt from being pushed on by the top hand. Mans. Saving people is tough business.


james, his pained expression, and his casualty

The smoke room was interesting. Unlike actual smoke from a fire, in the exercise it was whitish rather than black, but I still felt a little uncomfortable. The smoke descended really quickly, and it smelt weird - it made me feel that I really don't want to be caught in such a situation in reality. It would be much worse. In the room, most people just bent over in half (we had to be lower than 1.2m, or a buzzer would sound to alert the IC), but my group duck walked, so we had no problem with that. I don't know how I duck walked, slipped, and landed on my ass. -.- So yeah, anyhow, in the event of a raging fire, look out for the emergency exit sign, close all doors after you, stay low, keep your hand on the wall, and don't return for your belongings after you've evacuated yourself safely.

(Someone else took pictures while we were dong this, so... I'm waiting for them to appear on facebook so I can save them. ;p)

On to the fire fighting training!


yes, carry a chopped up hose around

After watching a short video presentation, in groups we lined up before a fire extinguisher each...



Watched the drama that unfolded on the screen and saw how fire hazards can occur...



Then we sprayed water at the screen to put out the fire!



Strangely enough, what I found fun about this, apart from handling a fire extinguisher for the first time (although it's not exactly the real thing), was the yelling of "火事だ!" Yes, I enjoyed yelling today. How often are you told to yell as loud as you can, and about such stuff? You almost never get to do it. Of course, it's only fun when it's a simulation. I don't want the real thing.

The level 6+ earthquake simulation was too short! From watching the other groups ahead of mine, I kinda knew what to expect, but hiding under the table, and clinging onto the table leg for dear life was something totally different. Gawd, the way the place shook so violently, it was terrible. I pictured such a huge earthquake happening when I'm in my room, and I was scared stiff. If such a time comes, I think I'll have to remind myself to go under the table instead of running for the door, and go screaming down the corridor to yj's room. Or clinging to my blanket, immobile in bed. The video we watched, showing how a bookshelf can topple over and smash someone's skull while the person's sleeping, it was horrible. Thankfully the layout of my room ensures that I'm not going to die in my sleep like that. In any case I just checked, my shelf and wardrobe are secured to the wall, thank goodness. As long as the aircon doesn't fall, I'll be fine. I only hope the desk lamp doesn't hit me in the face if it topples. My friend was funny, he said he has to ensure he puts his computer in a safe place. I thought it was to ensure that his computer doesn't hit him if an earthquake occurs, but no, it was not for his safety. Instead, he said that he doesn't want his computer to be smashed by a falling cupboard or stuff like that. -.-


with the elephant mascot or something

Some of us wandered around the area a little to kill time, and guess what I saw? A huge gyoza on the street! Very obviously, I had to try to eat it.


dang, but i look short here

Then we came across this cute picture on a store's shutters:


pig backside!

Finally, it was time to head back to Takadanobaba for the Shakeys Pizza lunch buffet! For 787 yen (roughly S$10), one can eat curry, spaghetti, potatoes and pizza there from 11am - 430pm, so I think it's a great deal. The pizza there was really interesting, not the same few hawaiian pizza variety that we see in Singapore. There were actually halloween specials, with pumpkins and all, which my American friends called dessert pizza, because they were sweet and tasted like pies. There was even yakitori pizza! And stuff with corn on it, or eggs, or the usual mushrooms, and ham... It was so wonderful, I ate 9 slices of pizza, two servings of spaghetti and two fried potatoes. I looked a few months pregnant afterwards, but my lunch was sooooo satisfying.


sorry, my plate looks rather dirty because of the spaghetti meatball sauce

After which, we returned for lessons, where I was hopelessly sleepy, thanks to lunch and the sleep deficit I've been accumulating. Oh, and of course, the rather boring lecturer. But I need to get my sleeping cycle back to more decent standards soon. Sometimes I look at myself in the mirror and I think I look gray and washed out. >_< Being vain, that's a big nono! So I better go and get my work done so I can sleep early tonight. Also, please let my lunch digest soon. I'm still feeling full.

Labels: , ,

- supergirl soul-saved @ 5:30 pm :)