Labels: school
hard to catch.
Primary school. Those were the days of cheesy poems written in cute autograph books, with an abundance of spelling and grammatical errors. I remember my Bon Bon Cat and another cat-featured autograph books. The first page was, of course, filled with words like "Hi! Welcome to my autograph book!" Yada yada, with other terms and conditions. I included the restriction that writers shouldn't use fluorescent ink, and shouldn't crack the spine of my autograph book (because pages would start falling out if that happened). Do you remember how we had a segment for "best friends", "friends", "acquaintances" and even "enemies"? We actually ranked out friends and... What enemies would teeny weeny primary school kids make? Our idea of enemy was so screwed, it's almost funny.
It was exciting handing out the autograph book and eagerly waiting its return, anticipating what kind of content it would contain. I prided myself on knowing quite a variety of poems, and rarely used the common "birds fly high" one. Back then we felt rather proud of trivial matters, don't you think? The time when I couldn't wait to get my autograph book back, when I was squirming about like I've got ants in my pants, was when I got a friend to pass it to a crush of mine. I was absolutely thrilled to have his address, number etc... But the BEST thing was - he attached one of his kiddy photos! I couldn't stop gushing over how cute he was as a toddler, and I kept taking out the book to ogle at the photo. I probably had stars in my eyes!
This guy was special. I remember a common friend telling me that he liked me, and he wanted to give me a present of... guess what? A ball bearing. Isn't that special? Hahaha. I don't know why in the world he wanted to give me a ball bearing, and I wouldn't know what to do with it apart from rolling it around. At that time I thought it was interesting. Thing is, I never got it. But I suppose the photo more than made up for it. I'm sure it's still somewhere around! :D
I think that autograph books became more meaningful only when we got older and replaced the useless "friends" and "favourites" segments with personal messages. Those were really sweet, I loved to read them - although I suppose they were nice to read because the writer wouldn't badmouth me, and everything would be positive! It's a pity that when it started to get more meaningful, the trend died out. Or we simply couldn't be bothered. Or associated autograph books with primary school, ie kiddy. Pity, pity.
Well, let me just end off with another common "poem" from the primary school days:
"I have a pen,
my pen is blue.
*Like... What's the link between pens and friends?!