My birthdays usually come and go without that much fanfare, maybe because my family's not in the habit of celebrating them. We're not into singing birthday songs, or presenting birthday cakes, or presents... Getting a "happy birthday" greeting is about as far as our celebrations go.
This year, I had a little punkie who was determined to celebrate my 23rd birthday (probably just so I'd be the same age as her for two weeks), and it turned out to be quite an extravagant affair. While I had a blast and felt like a princess, I feel a little guilty because she spent a bomb on me. =x AND it must've been stressful or something because the little girl woke up with a fever and sorethroat today. Oh no!
Anyway, this birthday I felt more grown-up than I ever had before. Even more so than when I was in Japan shopping for my own groceries, or doing my own laundry, or cooking my own meals... That felt like a lifetime ago, a period when I was still under my family's wing, being cared for, protected, just like a little girl. This time, it's not about a little girl acting all grown-up anymore, the way they do on TV prancing around in their mothers' clothes and heels and makeup. Make-believe it is not; it is reality. And so this year I clasped my hands, squeezed my eyes tightly shut and made some fervent wishes (I couldn't just narrow it down to one), giving in to the belief that birthday wishes do come true.
To Miss Piggy: No, I'm not about to reveal my wishes to you no matter how close you are to me, but thank you for being there for me and with me this birthday. It's quite amazing how you dropped into my life from nowhere, but nevertheless, you're not going to drop out of it anytime soon. We will celebrate your upcoming birthday with mee rebus, and you can bring me to the zoo for a birthday party next year! =p
Hmm. This entry seems fragmented but oh well, whatever!!!