About

Ramblings. Rantings. Ravings.

The Lady

22-year-old supergirl

Desires

freedom
courage
patience

Your Say


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Entertainment

. postsecret
. icanhascheezburger
. xiaxue
. papergirlsshop
. crunchyroll

Recent Entries

> kaori go vietnam!
> Remind me again why I should be nice.
> i love you fatty!!
> and so i pray.
> stanchart runspirators
> I have just heard that simply by virtue of being a...
> just to kill time
> spring cleaning!
> quick update
> WHEEEEEE...!

Lost Memories

> April 2007
> May 2007
> June 2007
> July 2007
> August 2007
> September 2007
> October 2007
> November 2007
> December 2007
> January 2008
> February 2008
> March 2008
> April 2008
> May 2008
> June 2008
> July 2008
> August 2008
> September 2008
> October 2008
> November 2008
> December 2008
> January 2009
> February 2009
> March 2009
> April 2009
> May 2009
> June 2009
> July 2009
> August 2009
> September 2009
> October 2009
> December 2009
> February 2010
> April 2010
> June 2010
> September 2010
> October 2010
> November 2010
> December 2010
> January 2011

Thanks To

Designer: blueskyx* LG*
Edit: Adobe Photoshop CS2*
Fonts: Dafont*
Brushes: x
Image: o
Host: Blogger* Photobucket*
Thanks: Blogskins*

vietnam - same same but different!
Tuesday, 30 December 2008

Same same but different - it's a phrase which the Vietnamese use very liberally. After hearing it umpteen times, I just wanted to sit them down and say, "Repeat after me: Similar. Don't say same same but different, say 'similar'!"

Being out of Singapore for nearly two weeks was an extremely awesome deal. I haven't thought enough about it to declare that it was a learning experience, but it was certainly an eye-opener which I enjoyed immensely. The thousands of photos we took testify to the amount of fun we had, and it was difficult choosing a fraction of that to upload to facebook and here! I adored the company that I had, so pardon me if I end up gushing too much about her cuteness in the following entry. :)

[ LEG 1: SAIGON ]


Our taxi ride from the airport into the city was a most horrible experience. The guy was out to cheat our money, and gullible me was out to be cheated! I didn't take very well to being called a retard and an idiot, so I steamed on the journey to the hotel, thinking that it was an extremely bad start to the holiday. It made me worried about how the rest of the trip would turn out.


our first roadside stall meal which got us hooked and going back for more!


punkie looking extremely adorably grumpy in her ah peh pyjamas


I continued worrying when on the second day punkie came down with a fever. It was scary how she heated up the whole bed. I'm not very good at taking care of people, maybe because I never really had to take care of myself. It didn't help that she's allergic to Panadol, or that she refused to let me go out alone to buy food for us. So all I could do was hang around, watch her down water and go to the toilet repeatedly, and wait for the fever to run its course. Helplessness sucks.


the lil shortie recovered quickly, so i was happy! :)


my favourite picture of the day: shifty eyes!


:: CAO DAI TEMPLE ::
(which made us think of carrot cake)



nun seeking the shade

devotees entering the hall


it just stretches on. isn't the hall grand?

it looks so grand and scenic!

:: CU CHI TUNNELS ::
(which made us think of tickles - cuchi, y'know?)

The tunnels were a little different from what I'd expected. I'd heard about the ingenious booby traps, but I'd pictured seeing them IN the tunnels themselves, and that we'd be bent double half the time exploring the tunnels. Unfortunately the place was more commercialised than I'd bargained for. Still, the booby traps were damn cool (and freaky, I would definitely not want to be impaled!) and it was fun going down one of the tunnels (even though it was enlarged for the sake of tourists). If only there were narrower tunnels for us to navigate!


compare and contrast. the caucasian got stuck and had to be hauled out by 2 men!


caught by surprise in the midst of a duckwalk


[ LEG 2: MEKONG DELTA ]


I greatly looked forward to this leg of the journey because it would take us away from the hustle and bustle of a city, and into the sprawing expanse of the water! I've always liked seeing things vastly different from what I can find in my own country. Differences intrigue me. Chugging down the delta in a boat, or rowing down in a sampan... They were such novel experiences, and so scenic to boot! As we journeyed down, I looked around at the murky water, the vegetation, the company... And it felt so surreal, I could hardly believe I was really there at the Mekong Delta, away from Singapore.


my first time touching a (moulting) snake! surprisingly, not slimy!


very pleased being rowed along with my conical hat

don't we look matching? megamac please! =p


i love the lighting. lucky shot of our sampan lady!

i could fall in love with this


:: FLOATING MARKET ::

The floating market was quite cool too, it is worlds apart from the way business is conducted in Singapore. I swear the Vietnamese use their extremely cute kids to tug at tourists' heartstrings so that we'll be more willing to loosen our pursestrings and buy something. By now I'd come to realise that it is difficult to make a living in Vietnam. When I see mere children begging on the streets, or helping their parents out with the food stalls, it makes me feel a little guilty that I'm so much more well off than them. That while they're trying to eke out a living, there I was indulging in luxury and spending an extravagant amount on a holiday. Then again, I cannot help it that we were born in different countries. Thus is our fate? Sometimes I think by virtue of our place of birth, we are so much luckier than so many other people in the world.




my lil shortie looking like a child here!


cute kid 1 (dang, why wasn't i as cute when i was a kid?!)

cute kid 2 (with snot running down his nose, hehe)


the pineapple ladies whose boat we sat on

Oh oh! The toilets are out of this world! In Saigon I had quite a culture shock when I visited the washroom and saw some ladies squatting down at an area - which looked like a foot-washing bay to me - peeing unabashedly! No shields to hide behind so I could see their asses hanging out of their pants! As I was washing my hands I snuck furtive looks at the lady closest to me, and saw that after her gush of pee finally abated, she just took toilet paper and wiped her down there in front of everyone. I was taken aback - I'd never seen anything like that before. Then I went to Mekong Delta, and came across an even more primitive toilet. You have to walk to the little shelter balanced on two tree trunks, with a little basket of paper (used in lieu of toilet paper, I reckon) outside, and you have to do your business between the tree trunks into the pool of water (full of algae) waiting below. Can you imagine that? Behold the amazing/fascinating toilet:


that's my posed shit-face, by the way

[ LEG 3: NHA TRANG ]

This was also a leg I'd eagerly anticipated because I'd read about their mud spa, mineral baths, massages... Coupled with the beach, it seemed like a rest and relax haven - and it was!


the damn comfy sleeper bus which we'd never seen the likes of!!!

you leaving an imprint just as clearly as these footprints


our little piece of heaven :)

:: BOAT TRIP ::

It was a must-do thing in Nha Trang, and so off we went! I have discovered a fondness for boat rides. Bouncing up and down the waves, jumping into the cold water and sputtering, getting stung everywhere by things we couldn't see, thrashing around with a float trying to make headway, enjoying drinks at the floating bar, sitting together at the deck drying off... What a getaway.

the super cute bucket of a boat

"I AM IN VIETNAM!!!" *squints*

dancing to our onboard live entertainment ;p

us (it has a nice ring to it) :]

parasailing! we would've done it if it weren't so costly! >.<


:: RANDOM TRIP ::


Nha Trang was so laidback, and I liked how we just hopped onto a motorbike and vroomed off randomly, stopping anywhere equally randomly. We just did whatever we fancied! On this trip I realised how convenient it was that punkie had a bike license, and said punkie gave me a bike lesson one dark night! Within a few minutes I was zooming down the roads (at 40km/h, haha) with her as my pillion, bringing us back to our hotel. How cool's that?! Granted, it was an auto bike so it was extremely easy to operate, but I felt very accomplished and in control! Exhilarating, it was, having the role reversal and becoming the one in charge of riding for once. It made me happy, knowing that I was doing many things for the first time and busily accumulating new experiences. Going out of my comfort zone, experimenting?


trust me as your rider?




big moomoo, small moomoo


c'mere!!

a kind stranger offered to take photos for us
(probably because he witnessed us zi pai-ing for a while)



the hon chong rocks! some love story behind it i think


tall and imposing

the lil darling at cham towers


i have this uncanny ability to look silly >.<

i love piggyback rides!!!

her cool, and my ridiculous (check out my hair), jump shots



The next series of photos amuse me to no end. It tickles me that my act cool/act tough/macho punkie was... learning cheerleading moves! That she'd see what I was doing and be eager to do it as well. As such, with the help of a random coconut on the beach, we started our own cheerleading training!


heelstretch. you doing a karate kick? =p


arabesque. commendable effort, just straighten the leg!


both of us trying VERY HARD (in vain) to do a scorpion


bridge (not over troubled waters, but grainy sand)


and the training ended with a nice sunset :)


the most adorable kiss kiss face ever! <3


lego women enjoying the sunset :)

a final beauty, then it's bye bye nha trang!


[ LEG 4: BACK TO SAIGON ]

Time whizzed by so quickly. Before we knew it, we were on the last leg of our holiday, back to Ho Chi Minh to spend Christmas eve and Christmas. One thing I liked about Saigon was that people recognised us! The staff at the tour agency, the hotel which we stayed at, the cafes we ate at... It felt good to be remembered; It made me feel like we belonged. Bui Vien Street became familiar and felt like home! Unfortunately on the first day our sightseeing progress was a little slow because we had to take frequent squat stops - punkie was struck by horrible cramps!



one of our numerous squat stops. feel the pain?


notre dame cathedral looked soooo gooooood


our artistically blur photo

we did the super touristy thing and rode the trishaw. fun! :)


(insane traffic) ready, get set... GOOOOOOO!!

:: CHRISTMAS ::

Although the streets weren't decked out in Christmas festivities the way Orchard Road is, it had its own special quality. But more than the decorations, the fact that we were spending Christmas overseas together mattered more. :) Towards the end of the trip I'd discovered several little quirks or expression that I like. It always makes me happy when I turn to punkie and say the magic words "check my teeth!" and she flashes me this goddamn cute smile:



you get away with lots because you're small and entitled to cuteness :)


i want such a swing! hanging from a tree, preferably over a cliff. cool, no?


After a sweaty day out it was time to return to the hotel to wash up and change into our party wear! It was a little unusual in that we could see each other preparing for the date, whereas under normal circumstances we'd only see the end results and not the process of dressing up. However it was fun. because we got to do each other's hair in the style we wanted! Hairdresser for a night!



hairstyle 1


then she resorted to wax. final hairstyle!


all ready for a night out! aren't we a good looking pair? =p


lovely ambience at allez boo


we ended the night with a double date with vietnamese boy boys!

:: LAST DAY ::




the iced milk coffee i so loved


towing our luggage to the airport


and a most lovely send-off

Looking back, the trip was almost perfect. With your disposition, and mine, we make pretty good travel companions for each other. I have to say a big thank you for looking out for me, for making me walk on the side closer to the pavement, for worrying for me when I wandered out alone, for opening up to me, for the humorous moments, for the patience, for the photos, for everything! I was so happy. You've showed me new things, washed away most of my apprehension and replaced it with something more tender, more stable. It has been a most awesome holiday, punkie. I wish I could express myself better, and package my words more beautifully, but I guess poetry is not quite my cuppa tea. Make do with prose, and recognise that I'm so awfully glad I went on the trip with you! I had a blast, and am looking forward to another one when we visit Hanoi! :D

Labels: ,

- supergirl soul-saved @ 6:09 am :)